Re: Message+ app using all of my data!
matt_vanv
Enthusiast - Level 2

A verizon rep called me this morning and was very informative.  They asked if the previous rep I had spoken to discussed other plans with me.  I told him they tried, but that I wasn't seeking a new plan, I just wanted to be sure this app wasn't using all of my data since it appeared to be.

Anyway, the rep explained to me there was a plan that offered more data and cost less than my current plan so we switched me to that to try and keep me from going over this month.  He also said that the mobile data usage numbers we are seeing were likely a running total since the app had last been reset and not for just the billing cycle.  I wasn't sure I felt this was the case because the app itself under mobile data usage has still gone up about .5GB in a week.  Whether thats a running total or not, that's a lot of data for 1 weeks worth of texting.

While we all feel some frustration certianly I don't think Verizon is trying to pull one over on us.  Their agents have all been very helpful.  I will continue monitering data usage by that app and if it continues to be an issue I'll likely switch over to the samsung messaging app.

RELL8891
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hope the new plan works out for you. But I can confidently say the data usage reported by this app is not a running total. This occurred to me 3 months in a row and only after I disabled the app did my data usage stop climbing. I was lucky to get a rep through chat that filed a data discrepancy on my behalf but the real problem was never solved. A different rep from Verizon told me to disable the app because it was clearly what was using up my data according to my account records. I've heard nothing back from them since but haven't had an overage since. I highly suggest you check your data usage daily, multiple times even, just to make sure it isn't eating up all your data.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

JOHTUP64
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue.  I also have a Galaxy S 7 phone and this issue started the middle of January.  We were charge an overage fee of $30 for January and now for February as well.  In January the message plus app used 7 GB data and now this month it has used 13.65 GB and our billing cycle is not even up yet and we have already been charged $30.  I went into a Verizon store yesterday and the lady there was no help whatsoever.  She said she didn't know of any issue with message plus but it is very obvious that there is a problem. Her suggestion was to disable message plus and than re enable it which did no good. Now today we were charged an additional 15 dollar overage fee.  After reading this thread I reported the bug, disabled the message plus app and went back to the default Samsung app.  This is ridiculous that we have to pay all this money for something that is not our fault.  We pay an arm and a leg for unlimited text messaging and to see that the messages aren't even going through as text messages is really frustrating.   Looks like I will be sticking with the Samsung default app, but will be contacting Verizon further to see if they will give us any sort of credit on our bill for the overage charges. 

Vroomer85
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree with RELL8891, but I wouldn't even risk keeping the app active . When I first noticed the data increase, I looked at my usage online and one of the items was almost 450MB in one download. It appears that it doesn't slowly drain your data, but instead makes large downloads/uploads randomly.

cat_covert
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent a long time yesterday working with a tech support rep that had me

reset my phone to factory settings. While this was a daunting task that

took away use of my phone for about an hour, so far it does seem to be

fixed. He believed that there was a bug that is causing the app to report

false data usage, but nonetheless, still reporting it for billing purposes.

As of this morning, message+ is not increasing in data usage like it was

before, so that is a relief. While it is a pain to reset everything, I

backed up what I could to cloud and google account and it took about 30

minutes to reset everything to the way I had it. I will keep an eye on the

app to see if anything changes, but this might be the fix everyone needs

for Galaxy S7 right now.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 10:08 PM, Vroomer85 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

JennieS81
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue. Noticed the unusually large amount of data being used by this app in January 2018. I went over my data in January and since then have been watching it like crazy & turning off all data usage when I get close. There has to be a fix and the people affected should get a refund. I have a Galaxy S8

Vroomer85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Resetting your phone to factory settings seems like an extreme measure to fix a bug that only appears to affect a single application. I think I'd rather just keep the Message+ app disabled until Verizon discovers what is actually causing the the increased data usage. My other concern is whether the factory reset reverts your phone back to previous phone software versions. If so, then as soon as you do a software update on your phone, there's a chance that the bug will return. I got mixed answers when I googled whether or not performing a factory reset reverts your phone software updates. Can you check to see if you have any software updates available after you performed the factory reset? Thanks.

cat_covert
Enthusiast - Level 2

It says my phone is all up to date. It was worth it for me because I

actually like the message+ app over other ones, but if you are fine using

another, that works too. He basically was only willing to refund the money

if I reset my phone and provided follow up information on. The reboot

wasn't awful since I did it at home while I didn't need a phone. I figured

I would continue to monitor the app to see if this starts happening again.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Vroomer85 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

Vroomer85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, thanks for checking that for me. It's good to know that there's at least a possible solution. Smiley Happy

ElginBat
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue as well, and went over on my data so had to by another 2GB of data.  Just switched to the text app which came with the phone (Samsung Galaxy 8).  Verizon has a real issue here which needs to be fixed ASAP.  Very frustrating...