Re: Message+ app using all of my data!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to use the Message + app at your convenience is vitally important. I apologize that you're still experiencing service issues with this app and we certainly want to address and resolve your concerns regarding increased data usage. I use the Message + app too. Since I will need account-specific information to further investigate this matter for you, please check your inbox, as I have sent you a Private Message on this topic:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/inbox

RobertC_VZW  

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
matt_vanv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having major data usage issues with this app.  My usage has not changed, but it has used 3.2GB already this billing cycle for me.  I only caught it because a 90% data usage alert popped up on my phone.  NO WAY!  Message+ (a verzion app is the culprit).  All of my other apps are on par withwhere they usually are.

As I dug more into my Message+ usage, since Feb 3rd I am at 3.2GB.  Last billing cycle (Jan3 - Feb 2) I was 1.2GB.  The 2 cycles prior, about .5GB.  I think something happened to this app in late January and its causing it to use far more data than it should be.  If nothing has happened to it and there isn't an error I will happy to delete the app.

matt_vanv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I checked message+ wifi data usage as well.

Jan 24 - today - 5.5GB

Dec 27 - Jan 24 - 0.06GB

Nov 29 - Dec 27 - 0.7GB

Nov 1 - Nov 29 - 0.14GB

Something is deffinitely wrong.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

matt_vanv We certainly want your data readings to be accurate. Have you changed the cycle date on your phone to match your billing cycle? Also, have you checked the usage online.

DeloresK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Vroomer85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for posting your previous months of data usage. It's interesting that your spike in data usage seemed to start in late January to early February. Mine started in early January. I'm guessing it has something to do with a software update. Either for the app or the updating the phone itself. I think mine started using more data shortly after a phone software update.

Either way, you're unlikely to get a useful response from Verizon on this issue, they seem convinced that we're just using the app to send large pictures/videos and that's what's causing the large increase in data usage. Your best bet is to disable the app (you can't delete it since it's locked on Verizon phones), but disabling it will stop it from using data. I disabled it and went back to using the regular messages app and my data usage went back to normal.

matt_vanv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, my data cycle matches my billing cycle on my phone.

Where can I check online? What I have found on your website measures my data as mostly web usage, social media and gaming. I have no gaming apps on my phone so this puzzles me.  Our phones tell us exactly what kind of data each individual app uses.

Since I posted a couple days ago message+ has used another .5GB mobile data. Dont think the extra GB of data the CSR gave me is going to make it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Matt_vanv, we want to make sure you have a complete understanding of your data usage. I just sent you a private message so that we can take a closer look at this for you.  

RalphT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
cat_covert
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have also had the same problem! I am now having to pay $30 in overage because my message+ app has used over 7GB of data! This is beyond ridiculous. I am currently chatting with an agent who says it's because I haven't turned off mobile data while connected to wifi - I have not done this for years and have never had this issue. It seems crazy that all of the sudden this happens and many people have had the same issues. I took the same steps as everyone above - so what is the resolution going to be?

cat_covert
Enthusiast - Level 2

vzw_customer_support​ ^^^^^^^^^^^

Vroomer85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Cat,

That's a ridiculous "solution" that wouldn't even solve the actual issue.

1) All apps should use WiFi by default when connected to an active wireless network

2) The app would still use data when not connected to WiFi

I tried restricting background data on the app and that didn't stop it from using data either. The only way to stop the app from using data is to disable it on your phone and to use the default Messaging app. If you haven't done that yet, then I would do that ASAP. At least until they come up with an actual fix for the app. It does seem as though a few people in this discussion have been able to get some kind of reimbursement for overage charges, but I was able to stop mine before I went over so I can't say for sure.