Is there a way to block texts from certain cell numbers?
Anonymouse
I have someone who I have repeatedly asked not to forward me text jokes, and other unwanted items, but they still insist on sending them to me.      Is there a way that I can block texts from a particular cell phone number?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there a way to block texts from certain cell numbers?
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

VZW Customer Service now has the ability to block up to 5 total numbers on an mobile number from calling or texting you. Keep in mind, this will block calls as well as text messaging, you cannot differentiate between the two. Customer Service would have to set this up for you over the phone.

Alternatively, there is also a feature called Usage Controls which would allow you to set up blocked numbers for texting. This feature, unlike the above mentioned, is not free and would cost $4.99 per month, but would allow you to block up to 20 different numbers from texting you.

These are the two only options VZW offers for blocking a specific number.

0 Likes
Anonymouse

Thank you.   I have a few other questions regarding this service.

1.  When I sign up for the $4.99 plan, can I keep it for maybe a month or two and remove it from the plan?  Or do I need to keep it for a year.

2.  Is it $4.99 for each line on a family plan, or does it apply to all numbers on the family pla.

3.  Will the person who is texting get a message back saying that their texts are blocked?    Or will they have no idea that they are blocked?   I'm thinking if they get a message saying that their texts are blocked, I can keep the service for a one month trial, and discontinue if they realize the jokes have been blocked. 

Thanks for any info.

0 Likes
mmmcheezy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would like to answer your more recent questions and also clarify on the answers provided by the previous post. 

First, to clarify that last answer, if you were to call customer service to have the up to five numbers blocked [which again, is at no additional charge], the blocks are only active for up to 90 days.  You can call back at the end of the 90 days, and re-block those numbers.

Secondly, the 4.99 usage control feature is something that can be removed at any time just like any other feature you have on your account.  The 4.99 monthly charge is per line, so if you were to add it to additional lines on your account, they would be billed the same amount. 

0 Likes
Anonymouse

Thanks.

Can anyone answer #3?

0 Likes
mmmcheezy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry I missed that one!

They will get a message indicating that they're blocked from that number.

0 Likes
Beacat615
I had my number blocked from a Verizon prepaid cell plan, and now the party is saying they want to unblock it, but they can't for 90 days. I'm thinking that he called CS to get it blocked. Does he have to wait the 90 days, or can he request that it be unblocked now?
0 Likes