Is Video calling from my phone possible?
JENBOS9
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see video calling is available on a tablet, but why not from a phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Video calling from phone?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is - both callers have to have video capable phones, and the feature activated on both accounts.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is - both callers have to have video capable phones, and the feature activated on both accounts.

0 Likes
JENBOS9
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply.   I assumed it wasn't because your website references only a tablet and my phone (nexus 6p) does not show the ability,  no video icon.   Is it perhaps because none of my contacts have the app?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to help, JENBOS9. I know Video calling can be an awesome feature. It is possible that the person that you are trying to call doesn't have the app. Which application are you using on the tablet for the Video Calling option?

LeoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JENBOS9
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe I'm not making myself clear.  I want to decide what video chat app to use and I thought messages plus did video but I do not see the video option on my phone.  I do see it on my tablet thus the reason for my first question if it is indeed available on phones.  I know that the other party will have to get it but most people have an iphone and use facetime.  If it were an option for my phone I'd ask someone to get it to see how it works.

So does the messages+ app do video on phones and if so will it only show the availability of the feature only if the contact has the app also?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

On my phone, (not the messages app), I will have the video calling option available only if I have HD calling turned on, and the other party also has it turned on.  Otherwise, the video option is not there.

On the tablet, I see the phone and the video icon when I pull up the option to do a phone call; it may not work if the other party does not have video calling enabled.  The tablet version of the app works differently since calling from the tablet is now an option - the icon shows but may not always work.  On the phone, it doesn't need to show since making a call from within the texting app is just a shortcut to the phone and automatically dumps you to the phone itself, where video is available.  Does that make sense?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a convoluted way, is that the Messages + app is NOT a video chat app, it's a text messaging app.  The video is a CALLING, a PHONE function, and tied to whether you and the called party have it available on your PHONE service.  The video part of messaging is linked to the phone service.

0 Likes
JENBOS9
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JENBOS9,

Thanks for reaching out to the community member forum. We appreciate you posting your question. Sorry about any confusion on the video calling options linked to the Verizon Messages service. The video calling within the messaging application will be for tablets or watches only (connected devices). You can already use your phone for video calling without needing any applications as long as both you and the other party are using the Advanced Calling/HD Calling feature in your phones' settings: http://vz.to/1HtiTUv  You can also use any 3rd party video calling application or service of your choice. I hope this answers your question.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes