I want to text my friend in Britain... Please help!
RambeR1220

So one of my good friends in Britain is going to be without internet service so we decided to exchange numbers. We figured out the international codes and everything but now I'm wondering will I be charged for the texts and if so, how much. I have unlimited text so I don't know if the  $.25 to $.20 charge will apply to me or not... Anyone know? Please help!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: I want to text my friend in Britain... Please help!
PhonePrincess
Contributor - Level 2

Rambe,

Yes, you will be charged for International texting, since you are going to be sending/recieving txts to/from an international #. the rates for that are: $.50/sent text message to their phone, and $.05/text recieved to your phone from thier phone. If you try to txt them and the txt isnt going thru, you may need to have 'international dialing allowed' feature added to your plan, that feature is free, just make sure you arent CALLING your friend, lol.

0 Likes
RambeR1220

Ok so I think I may have it all figured out but I feel like I may be getting some things confused with Altel... That is what my family had before. Is there some kind of "my circle" thing with Verison? Could I get my parents to add his number to that and it not charge to text or call him?

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

VzW has Friends & Family (equivalent to Alltel in a way) but international numbers cannot be added.

0 Likes
RambeR1220

So is there no way to get around the charges for texting him? Will I just have to suck it up and take the extra charges?

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

Pretty much :smileysad:

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a PS - the Friends and Family only applies to Voice calls, not texting.  No where in the description does it mention texting, so I would guess that it only applies to voice calls.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong!!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Suzy,

You are correct, it only applies to domestic voice calls, not texting. 

Doc

0 Likes
PDX_OR

Is there an email based address for his phone? You can get around it by sending it to (something@something.co.uk) and have him text you at yournumber@vtext.com 

0 Likes