How are text messages from a blocked number getting through??
SOUTHERNLADY3900
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why am I still receiving text messages from a blocked number on my GalaxyS5 through Messenger+?  I've added the number to my Spam folder as well as blocking it through my Verizon account, and Facebook Messenger yet I am still receiving harrassing text messages.

Labels (1)
Re: How are text messages from a blocked number getting through??
yarelim_vzw
Verizon Employee

SOUTHERNLADY3900​, I can image receiving messages from an unwanted contact is really bothersome.  I want to make sure that we can help put to end to this. How long has it been since you blocked the number?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-unblock-services-faqs/

Here to help.

yarelim_vzw

C_Naranjo
Enthusiast - Level 2

The link provided does not give any information for the answer. It just takes you to the frequently asked questions.

Why am I receiving messages from a number that is currently blocked?

Cynnerthia
Enthusiast - Level 3

When you say that you're still getting messages, are you indicating that this person is reaching you through Facebook Messenger and Message+?  I do know that Facebook is pretty solid about their blocking procedures; this indicates that the person is creating new accounts to reach you (if they're "still getting through").  You're going to have to change your privacy settings to make it harder for people who aren't on your friends list to find/contact you.

As far as blocking the number on your phone and through your Verizon account, I do know that those solutions are only temporary.  Verizon allows up to 5 contacts to be blocked temporarily for free for 90-days.  If you want something more permanent, you're going to have to pay $5.00 a month for it, but it does allow more options to prevent harassment. Here is a snippet from their website that I pulled for you.  I hope this helps! 

Block Numbers | Verizon Wireless

My Verizon - Block Calls & messages

Block Calls & messages in My Verizon.
Learn how to set up Blocks with our Blocks FAQs.
Temporarily block up to 5 contacts at no charge.

Cost: Free

• Block up to 5 contacts
  • Block calls and texts
  • Blocks expire after 90 days

Watch the How to Add Blocks video for an overview of the new Blocks experience.

Verizon FamilyBase® / Usage Controls

Need more blocking features? Permanently block up to 20 contacts, including restricted and unavailable numbers, for a low monthly fee. You'll also be able to monitor and limit minute, text and data usage for up to 10 devices on your account.

Cost: $5/month

• Block up to 20 contacts
  • Block calls and messages from domestic and international numbers
  • Block restricted, unavailable or private numbers
  • Block email addresses
  • Restrict calls during a certain time of day
  • Prevent outgoing calls to 411 Directory Assistance
SOUTHERNLADY3900
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your kind response Cynnerthia. The text messages are showing up in Message. I'm really confused as to how Message actually works. It seems that my FB private messages also show up in Message+ - is that how it is supposed to work? I am aware that the free blocking service is only temporary, but it has been less than a month since I put the block in place and this person was still able to send me a message that showed up in Message+.

I have blocked this person from FB and FB Messenger, and anywhere I can find to block a number. I'm at my wits end!!

Cynnerthia
Enthusiast - Level 3

Message+ doesn't have an option to link your Facebook, so I'm not quite sure where the issue is coming from or if we're talking about the same application. There's a Message App (Samsung), Message+ (Verizon), and Facebook Messenger... and all can be used on a single phone. I definitely don't want to give you the wrong information and cause more frustration, because how important it is for you to block any communication from this person.

I think, maybe the best bet is to go into a Verizon store and speak to an associate.  They may be able to take a look at the app in question and fix the settings, as well as get you on the Verizon Family Base plan to give you a more permanent solution to block this person.

C_Naranjo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do not have Facebook. I use Message+. I am aware of the blocking limitations. The phone number has been blocked and it is still within the 90 day period.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

C_Naranjo,

I appreciate the details and clarification you have provided. I definitely understand the importance of putting a stop to these harrassing messages. What make/model device do you have? Exactly how long ago did you add the number to the blocked list via My Verizon? Did you also block the number via your phone app in your device, if possible?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

C_Naranjo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Droid turbo 2, it had been on the blocked list for about 30 days. I use the message+ app and it doesn't let you block a number but it does let you mute the conversation for text messages and send all calls to voicemail, which I did. My phone does not allow you to block the number either which is why I checked my services from Verizon.

Teawah
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is utterly ridiculous. What every other phone service gives for free, Verizon wants to make you so uncomfortable that you will pay them for comfort. 

I have paid $30 a month for UNLIMITED EVERYTHING through another provider and wish I had the ability to stay with that company. If it weren't for work, I would kick the dirt off my heals as I walked away from this company and never look back. 

I find this to be the worst kind of crooked. 

0 Likes