How Can I View My Child's Messages?
jimf777
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have family based set up for my 13 year old first smart phone. But we've have been having trust issues and I'd like to know how I can, when I feel there's a need, log in to my verizon account and view text and picture messages.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how can I view childs messages
rcschnoor
Legend

You would only be able to view SMS/MMS sent via the Verizon Messages app and you would need to have the userid/password for your child's MyVerizon account. If they were to change their password, you would lose access.

This would NOT give you access to messages sent/received via other methods including but not limited to Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, etc...

Bottom line is that if you give your child a smartphone and they don't want you to see their messages, you won't be able to do so. There is no way to make sure you are seeing all messages unless you are watching over their shoulder. If you are having "trust" issues, take the phone away until you are not.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Legend

You would only be able to view SMS/MMS sent via the Verizon Messages app and you would need to have the userid/password for your child's MyVerizon account. If they were to change their password, you would lose access.

This would NOT give you access to messages sent/received via other methods including but not limited to Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, etc...

Bottom line is that if you give your child a smartphone and they don't want you to see their messages, you won't be able to do so. There is no way to make sure you are seeing all messages unless you are watching over their shoulder. If you are having "trust" issues, take the phone away until you are not.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Most parents would not wanna do that so they say. Bet I don't know why parents need to hide their parenting.

0 Likes
jimf777
Enthusiast - Level 2

That'a what I thought. As mentioned, his phone is on my plan and set up in Family Base, so I see the message type, time, date, etc, just not content.

He's starting to be more and more influenced by peers and he has yet to violate trust so I'm not eager to see what's being sent, but wanted to know if the time came...

My original purpose of giving him the phone was because he was starting to walk to school and back and want to be able to communicate if needed, so I don't want to take away.

0 Likes
jimf777
Enthusiast - Level 2

That was helpful...?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm not certain that it's still called integrated messaging, but I know my sister has her kids text messages linked to her tablet so all messages sent and received show up there as well. Of course, as others have said, if they decide to use a different app to text in, you wouldn't be able to see those.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Remember, text messages is only the tip of the communications iceberg.  There is instagram, Facebook messenger,  imessages, whatsapp, snap chat etc etc.   We have policy in our home that the unlock code must be known and in return for the privilege of having a phone, and after reviewing real life examples of where phones got kids in trouble, we can check the phones with child present.  We did this since day one of the phone so I think that made it easier than adding this policy late.  Each was so desperate for a phone they agreed to almost any terms     You check what apps are using data and battery and those are the ones you spot check. 

0 Likes
jimf777
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's good info, useful idea. He's a good kid and always asks if he can download any app, even free ones. The other day I gave him the ok, then he called back and said he noticed it is rated MA. Plus the Family Base will notify (?) and definitely show any apps installed and where the data is going.

Thanks again, I'm really pushing the open communication and this fits right in.

0 Likes
ERISMI10
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maybe he knows you're spying on him so he blatenly does everything to [Removed] you off.

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jimf777
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I (and his mom) were very open and told him that part of having his phone until he shows he is responsible, is that at any time we feel the need, we have access to it but wouldn't "just look at it" for no reason. And to maintain respect we would ask him (or tell if needed) first. So far he has been very open about asking before downloading things and in return we are more at ease about approving. Not to mention I see app details in Verizon's Family Base.

Also, being that with the new phone he was walking to and from school for the first time, I informed him that I put an app on it that would show the location of the phone and notify me when he arrives or leaves school or his mom's. For me at that point, it really was about being able to find him in case of something happening and his well being was questioned. Still today, that's the only reason I pull it up.

He's 13 and has never had the "free reign" that a lot of his friends have had, and he's a good kid. But there will be the phases and worse, the peer pressure as friends become more important and he sees that they may have more freedom than he does. As I understand your input as that is a possible scenario with kids (and my wife for that matter), he's not at that point and hope he doesn't get there.

0 Likes