How Can I Retrieve Texts From When My Phone Was Off?
cayte034

My phone was turned off for three weeks because it was damaged. I know a number of people messaged me in the meantime. When I got my new phone, these messages did not come through.

The only thing I can think of it that my old phone was an IPhone and used IMessage to text, while the new phone is an Android. Does anyone know if this could be the root of the problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Missing text messages while phone turned off
rcschnoor
Legend

There are 2 possible reasons. The first is what you have listed, using iMessage. If the phone sending the text is an iPhone subscribed to iMessage sending to you and you are subscribed to iMessage, your new android device will never receive this message. If you have another apple device, you can log into your apple userid account and retrieve your iMessages from there.

If you didn't deregister your line from iMessage before switching to android, you need to do so now or iPhones would still not be able to text you. See  the following: Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online - Apple Support

Another possible reason is that Verizon only holds your texts for so long if they are undeliverable because of no phone being able to receive them. I am unsure what this time period is, but I believe it is less than 3 weeks. More likely around 10 days or so. After that period, if they have not yet been delivered, I believe they are simply deleted.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Legend

There are 2 possible reasons. The first is what you have listed, using iMessage. If the phone sending the text is an iPhone subscribed to iMessage sending to you and you are subscribed to iMessage, your new android device will never receive this message. If you have another apple device, you can log into your apple userid account and retrieve your iMessages from there.

If you didn't deregister your line from iMessage before switching to android, you need to do so now or iPhones would still not be able to text you. See  the following: Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online - Apple Support

Another possible reason is that Verizon only holds your texts for so long if they are undeliverable because of no phone being able to receive them. I am unsure what this time period is, but I believe it is less than 3 weeks. More likely around 10 days or so. After that period, if they have not yet been delivered, I believe they are simply deleted.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's five days, i.e., from  Text Messaging FAQs | Verizon Wireless

"If a message is sent to you while your device is off, or while you're traveling outside of the Verizon Wireless coverage area, your message will be stored for later delivery. Your device must be turned back on and have coverage for the message to be delivered to you. The network will attempt to deliver the message for 5 days (120 hours) from the date of receipt. Messages not delivered within 5 days will be deleted."

Buckeyetaz

This simply is not true.  My wife turns her phone off every night.  I have texted her before she wakes up hoping to have her see it as soon as she wakes up.  Those messages are never delivered.

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes