Having some trouble
gmandisco
Enthusiast - Level 3

So when my friend (on att) sends me a long text it breaks it up into "pages" - on her phone and sends them each as a separate text. for some reason when i reply with more than 160 characters and expect it to break it up and send to her individually, she doesnt recieve any of them. i dont ever get a verizon message saying that it can only be a certian number of characters or anything. im currently using the LG dare and the phone itself automatically breaks it up into pages, and claims that it is sent but for some reason she never recieves them... help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Having some trouble
AStormUser
Contributor - Level 2

Hello,

Best advice is to send your message as an MMS instead of a text message. This is a network limitation that will not send anything greater than 160 characters to another carrier. Your friend should be receiving the first 160 characters andI'm not sure why she isn't. It could be on either end (AT&T or VZW). Only a trouble ticket would find out for sure. If you send your friend an MMS instead then she should receive up to 1000 characters.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

This is a common problem when dealing with SMS messages over 160 characters and non-VZW subscribers. When your phone lets you type past 160 and it breaks it up into pages it is no longer considered a normal SMS, it's called EMS; Enhanced Message Service and it's something that's proprietary to Verizon Wireless. So naturally when sending it to a non-VZW number you're going to have some problems with EMS such as what you're experiencing. Really, there's no fix to it. The only way to get around what you're doing is to send individual SMS messages 160 or less, or create a MMS that you would normally use for picture or video messaging but only include text. MMS will allow up to 1,000 characters and should transmit fine to your AT&T friend as MMS is a cross carrier standard.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

AStormUser,

looks like we had the same idea at the same time. Great minds think alike. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
AStormUser
Contributor - Level 2

ha ha yeah I saw that :smileytongue:

0 Likes