Has Verizon been hacked?
JOElR6836

After years of service with Verizon, I am getting bombarded with spam text messages all of a sudden.  Has your system been hacked?  What are you doing to stop spam before it gets to my phone?

0 Likes
Re: Has Verizon been hacked?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not being "bombarded" with text messages. Have you even considered your information has been compromised? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JOElR6836, we appreciate your many years with us and your efforts to let us know about the messages that you've been receiving. We're here to help. Have you made any recent changes to your phone? Are you presented with an unsubscribe or "STOP" option? Please forward any offending text messages to 7726 (Verizon Corporate Security).

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes
joelrothschild

I do have a "spam" and "block number" option, but there seems to be an endless list of numers they use.  Just trying to understand why this is a problem all of a sudden.

Does Verizon check the senders phone number to ensure the number is even valid before allowing messages to go through?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand how frustrating Spam calls and text can be Joelrothschild. I experience them too and I definitely get the annoyance that these calls cause us all on a daily basis. We would love to help as much as we can. We do not monitor what text are being sent out as there are millions of text being sent and that goes against our privacy laws.  We alongside all other carriers are doing all we can to partner up with the FCC and all the needed parties to do all that we can to minimize these calls as well as to get one step ahead of these scammers. As of now Call Filter detects spam calls and if you have the Premium Call Filter then you can also report the Spam calls that we do not have on our database. Since we all experience callers that spam call us, this a tool that everyone can contribute to in order alert everyone of a particular number that you may want to be aware of. You can also set the spam threat level so Call Filter can automatically block those calls for you, if they have been reported as spam numbers.

You can find this information (number 8 & 9 under "Mark a number as spam" and "Automatically block spam calls with your spam filter") here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/call-filter-faqs/

As we develop more features and new tools to minimize these calls you can stay up to date using our email updates service found here: http://vz.to/1m2tKLh

I know that I have provided you a lot of information, but please know that we take spam calls seriously. We are doing all that we can to help improve everyone's experience. Let me know if you have any questions about the above features as I want you to be able to take advantage of these options to help reduce the number of calls and text you receive. AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
BEVSEA47

I too have been getting all of these text messages with everything from loss 35 lbs overnight to free Netflix.  I keep putting the numbers on the block list - which is growing larger and larger everyday.

It is quite annoying when you are on the phone and waiting for a text message and it turns out to be one of these!  

0 Likes
BEVSEA47

Also, the call filter is for calls.  These are TEXT messages......how do we block those?

0 Likes
JRPSR

I am getting them also. Every day from the same people (they are always addressed to the same name and not mine). I have been reporting them by forwarding to 7726, blocking the numbers and marking them as spam in Call Filter (labeled as robocaller/text). I am doing everything I can do and and I still get them every day. CLEARLY, Verizon is not doing enough to stop all of this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Bevsea47,

We know that having options to block numbers on your account from having the ability to message your number is important. We can help here. We offer a free Call & Message block which allows you to block text messages. Please click here for instructions to get started https://login.verizonwireless.com/vzauth/UI/Login?realm=vzw&goto=https%3A%2F%2Fmyvpostpay.verizonwir... . Do you recall if the messages started after downloading a particular application or signing up for a new service using your mobile number? 

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure we are doing everything we can to assist you regarding preventing these types of calls.  A private message has been sent to assist you further.

SeanC_VZW

0 Likes