Group Text Displaying Number Other Than The Originators Number
swgallagher
Enthusiast - Level 1

No one at Verizon seems to be able to answer WHY group texts are generating erroneous numbers that masks the actual sender of the message.   It seems like Verizon is intentionally being oblique in addressing this issue.   In an age of security, most people are hugely wary of opening a text from a number they don't recognize.  This essentially kills the ability to reach those people you are trying to text.  If they don't recognize the number...then they won't open the text thereby rendering the effort as useless.

I've searched a ton of threads on this topic and even noted that the attempt to search on a number of similar topics sends me to threads with absolutely no useful or even related information.

Near as I can see, this problem started back in April but just recently started with me when I updated.

The Verizon responders are dialoguing in the most aggravating of manners which demonstrates that this concern is basically being sent to loop about and is generally being ignored.

So here is your chance Verizon, I think I've not only put in a clear title but also a pretty good problem statement.

Here it is again..."Why is it that when I send out  a group text that the message that comes up on the receivers phone shows a number other than mine (the originator)?"  and, "in this age of security, wasn't this considered as a problem as most people won't open a text from someone that they don't know who the originator is?" 

How is this being addressed?

I can tell you this, and I don't think I'm alone, this is a deal breaker and it compels me to seek another carrier if it's not addressed.

Regards

Labels (1)
Re: Group Text Displaying Number Other Than The Originators Number
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I depend on text for just about everything, even to confirm phone conversations, so I completely see where you're coming from, swgallagher. You gave an excellent picture of what the issue is, and we appreciate the chance to work with you on finding the issue and fixing it. We’ll need to gather some more details about what’s happening. What text app are you using? Does this happen every time you set up a group message? Does the same erroneous number show up on every device in every group? When you send a text to just one member of the group, how does your number appear? We’ll find what’s going on by ruling out what’s not happening. There’s no way I’m going to let this continue to compel you to seek another carrier.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

DAVERN66

Hi, i followed a bunch of threads on this and don't see where the problem was resolved yet.

My wife just got new phone last week (latest android version), enabled message+ (we did delete and reinstall) and tried sending out a group text that she set up.

Some of the members in the group displayed phone numbers instead of contact names, like me on my Android V4.1.2 (non message+ because no space left) and the from number was the mysterious 588-938-7736 and the 7737, at least one member of the group had the same symptom, and i think the others on iphone were OK...

If she just did a text to multiple contacts, then names appear OK. So something in group isnt sending in a supported format.

Do you have a fix yet or suggestion for older versions?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I certainly want you to have the right information on the phone, DAVERN66. What is the make/model of the phone? Have this ever happened before on the old phone? Did this happen when she first sent out the group message or did it happen during the group message?

ZangY_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DAVERN66

The phone is a Kyocera model e6810 running android 7.1.2. was on a Samsung running 4.1.2 and never used Group messaging prior to the new phone. One of the receiving phones that didn’t show contact names (only numbers) is a Samsung sch-1200 running android 4.1.2 kernel 3.0.31.

This happen upon first sending of group message…

The WEB query showed this as a common issue with non Message+ users….None of them showed resolutions…

0 Likes
DAVERN66

Anything happening on this

0 Likes
mzanoni1986

This isn't rare apparently and it JUST started happening. It didn't happen eith the same phone, just with the latest download. This is not related to the kind of phone, or the app used...none of that. It started with the latest download. Why isn't Verizon taking this seriously?

0 Likes
Piz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Note 8 and having the same problem. I rely on group texts and this has caused communication failure with my teams. Some receive correctly and some don't,  sometimes it's correct then it isn't. All receivers have me in their contacts. Happens both and iPhones.

I called the number and it says welcome to Verizon, this call can not be placed.

Seriously, this tech isn't new!

Help

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This definitely is a very important issue and we want to make sure that we're providing assistance to resolve the matter. Your account concerns are our concerns too. Group texting is very important and we want you to be able to send and receive text messages with confidence and ease. Since there are similar and different scenarios provided by our community members, let's work to resolve your specific text messaging concerns. How long have you been experiencing issues with group text messages displaying a phone number other than the originator's phone number? Which text messaging app are you using? (e.g. Verizon Message +, the messaging app included with your Samsung Note 8, etc.) Have there been any recent changes with your device? (e.g. software update, new apps downloaded, etc.)- RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
Piz
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is at least from December. I use Verizon Message +.  Updates are all current.  I had a tech ticket with Verizon from Monday and they escalated two levels and then a third and I was told I would be contacted. I received several messages that the problem was being worked and I would be contacted. Then I received a message that the problem (network) was fixed. I tested it and NO IT WAS not fixed.  So another call today, more wasted hours.  I spend 2.5 hrs on this problem on Monday. And I can't use the group texts successfully. The number is similar to the number above, 5889368551.  It was mentioned on Monday that the number may be an error code and not a phone number.  If I send individual messages to the same people, my correct contact information shows up,  

How can this problem be around for over 2 yrs and not have a solid fix?

Ridiculous.