ENV3 and annoying reply message when I send more than 2 pages of text
dmf0429

Can someone help me!!! I got the ENV3 and I have finally realized that I can send multi-page texts to non-verizon customers. However, the drawback to this is every time I do, I get a reply message FREE from verizon telling me that it will be sent in multi parts without formatting. This is extremely annoying. Does anyone know how to shut this off on the ENV3?!?!  Thanks so much!

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: ENV3 and annoying reply message when I send more than 2 pages of text
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just delete it - or send shorter messages to prevent it from being generated.  It's going to happen.

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

It's not the # of pages that limit you, it's the # of characters. You are limited to 160 characters, including spaces, to non verizon customers. If you get this message it means you went over. When this happens the chances are good that your texts are not going through correctly nor in their entirety. What they mean by not formatting correctly is that after 160 the message will just end or the remainder is gibberish. I have done this occasionally and had people text me back "Huh?" or tell me the message ended with symbols and made no sense. So now I just watch the counter in the corner and when I get close to 160 I click send and then continue my message in a new text. That message they send back to you is a warning that your text did not go through correctly.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good news lrando - you CAN now send more than 160 characters (as of sometime in January!) but you get a "free" text message back from Verizon letting you know it was sent....as the OP was describing.

Current

FREE_VZW_MESSAGE:
Messages sent to non-VZW customers with graphics/tones/formatting and/or 160+ characters are sent as plain text in multiple segments.

Old message:

FREE_VZW_MESSAGE:
Messages sent to non-VZW customers with graphics/tones/formatting and/or 160+ characters are sent as plain text with only the first 160 characters.

You can see this thread on Howard Forums for more discussion of the issue.

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

Really?? Ooooh nice. I can't tell you how often I watch the little counter. I end up deleting some letters and then going through process of sending another text. I often wondered why Verizon didn't let us type as much as we wanted and then just take so many texts from our packages... This is great! How do you find out stuff like this? I always seem to find out these things months after they have taken place! Thanks!!!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

lrando1 wrote:

... This is great! How do you find out stuff like this? I always seem to find out these things months after they have taken place! Thanks!!!

How do I find out?  I spend (way too much) time on boards like this one, reading and learning, and passing on the information I glean.  :smileyvery-happy:

Enjoy sending longer SMS messages !

0 Likes
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon agent will message you shortly.
0 Likes