Do I need to use Message+ for Group chat??
cyberweasel

Hello,

I recently switched to Verizon and Android on an S8 (was previously GSM and iPhone).  I was using the Samsung Messages app for texting but received a message that I was added to a "Group Chat" and needed to download Message+ to receive it.  I downloaded the Message+ app and made that my default SMS and can see the Group Chat now but I would rather not use Message+ for all SMS.  Is Group Chat restricted to only Message+ on Verizon?  I can't find any other SMS app in the store that will read that Group Chat.  Highly disappointed because I am not a fan of the Message+ app.  Thoughts, tips, insight, suggestions?  Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Do I need to use Message+ for Group chat??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cyberweasel,

Being able to enjoy your phone the way you want is a big deal. One of my favorite things about Android devices are how much you can customize and change. If you don't enjoy one messaging app there are many others to choose from.

Group chat though is actually a feature of Verizon Message+. They aren't text messages or even group text messages, they are a separate type of message which allows us to offer more options and customization. It's a part of that app though so other apps won't work for those. You could still certainly use a different main texting app and switch over to this app only for your group chats. Alternatively you could ask your friends to start a normal group text messaging chain instead.

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want you to enjoy your VZW experience and have the best messaging application to fit your needs. Does the issue occur with all or specific  group chats?  Are you able to initiate a group chat via the native messaging application? Additionally, what reservations do you have about Message +?  

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LISSEM1

I'm not the OP but I'm having the same issue.  I'm on a Pixel running 8.0 with the latest security update.  I have been able to group text in my native messaging app (Google Messaging) without any problems.  The issue came about when my son's baseball coach started a group text for all of the parents from within the Message+ app; I never received any of her messages, nor any of the replies from any of the other parents.  All I got was a text telling me to download the Message+ app, and once I did all of the group texts and replies showed up.  If I switch back to my native app none of those messages are there.

My reservation about Message+ is that I don't like being forced to use an app to receive important text messages that anyone outside of Verizon would get automatically.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LISSEM1, being able to receive all of your messages is important – especially so you can keep track of your son’s baseball team. We’d like to ask a few questions to get to the bottom of this issue and make sure it’s fixed. Can you tell us if this group text is the only group that does not appear within your native messaging application? If the coach or any of the parents happen to send you an individual message (instead of a group message) are you able to view in in your native messaging app?

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
WANGON43

Hi, anyone from Verizon online?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, Wangon43. We're here to assist you with any questions or concerns that you might have with your wireless service. What seems to be going on? 

Kevin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes