Data use and picture text
KC941

If you send a picture text will you get charged for data use even if you have a text plan  ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data use and picture text
sadie85
Contributor - Level 3

KC941 wrote:

Thank you  Suzy Q  for your quick response.  Hopefully you can tell me if Verizon Customer service is right or wrong. 

I have three phones with text plan 400 F & F  I have a total data block on the three lines.  They cannot send or receive picture text on those three lines.  I called Verizon customer service and was told that they could not send or receive picture texts with a total data block.  I was then told that for them to receive picture texts I would have to remove the data block and then since all picture texts have to be sent through the internet and that would use data that I would be charged for.  Is this right ?  

Thank you Again  KC

That block is called NationalAccess. It is the only block that for sure says no data on the phones but it also blocks picture messaging because they use the same sort of technology. They just bill picture messages different then data. If you remove the NationalAcess block it is possible to have data charges on the phone...mostly if there is applications already on the phone(like VZW Tones or Get in now search). I would check the phones and delete any applications with the exception of Backup Assistant and then request NationalAccess to be removed and make sure web access and get it now blocks are on each line.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope - picture messages count as text messages.  As do video messages, texts, pictures, and videos sent to an email address via text message, and Mobile IM messages.

0 Likes
KC941

Thank you  Suzy Q  for your quick response.  Hopefully you can tell me if Verizon Customer service is right or wrong. 

I have three phones with text plan 400 F & F  I have a total data block on the three lines.  They cannot send or receive picture text on those three lines.  I called Verizon customer service and was told that they could not send or receive picture texts with a total data block.  I was then told that for them to receive picture texts I would have to remove the data block and then since all picture texts have to be sent through the internet and that would use data that I would be charged for.  Is this right ?  

Thank you Again  KC

0 Likes
lonegreywolf20

That is actually wrong and what you were told is what I was told last year. The Verizon CS Rep had told me that picture messaging takes up data. They were wrong. Picture messaging (texting) does use the internet, that much is true, but there is supposed to be no charge applied.

Call back and talk to someone else. Keep calling until you get someone that actually knows what they are talking about. It's the only way not to get charged for something that you are already paying for with your texting bundle.

0 Likes
sadie85
Contributor - Level 3

KC941 wrote:

Thank you Again  KC

That block is called NationalAccess. It is the only block that for sure says no data on the phones but it also blocks picture messaging because they use the same sort of technology. They just bill picture messages different then data. If you remove the NationalAcess block it is possible to have data charges on the phone...mostly if there is applications already on the phone(like VZW Tones or Get in now search). I would check the phones and delete any applications with the exception of Backup Assistant and then request NationalAccess to be removed and make sure web access and get it now blocks are on each line.

0 Likes