A recent update caused number of unread messages to no longer be shown on Messenger icon.
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the past couple of weeks, Verizon sent out a major upgrade to out Moto Z Play phones. After the update, the Verizon Message app icon no longer shows the number of new/unread messages. Please put that useful feature back.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: A recent update caused number of unread messages to no longer be shown on Messenger icon.
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

Post the November 2017 Verizon software upgrade to NDNS26.118-23-12-3, the new message count # returned to the Message+ icon.

Message+ is still at version 6.4.42.

I conclude something in the prior Verizon software upgrade caused the outage, not an update to Message+.

I am thankful,

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: A recent update caused number of unread messages to no longer be shown on Messenger icon.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MLueck,

we want to find a resolution to this as quickly as possible. Do you still get notifications for any new messages? Do you hear a sound when a message comes in?

MahrizaM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

if my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes I still here the new message arrived tone. Just when pushing the O button to minimize all apps, the Verizon Message app icon no longer shows the number of new/unread messages. One has to actually go into Verizon Message app, THEN you can see that new messages have come in which are still unread.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having that notification will certainly come in handy, MLueck. Let's make sure we get this working. Do you get the notification icon next to other apps like email when a new message is received? Can you also check to ensure notifications are enabled in the Verizon Messages app? Please click on Verizon Messages, then Menu (three lines at the top left), Settings, Notifications (ensure that is checked).

NicoleB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

Greetings NicoleB, 1) Other apps? Yes, phone app shows number of missed calls on the app icon. 2) Yes, in Verizon Messages settings Notifications is checked.

BTW: I am finding I am not able to sign into the community.verizonwireless.com to reply in a timely manner. For long periods of time when I am logged in there is no link to reply.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Glad the other notifications are working, MLueck. I appreciate you checking the notification setting as well. Can you please check to ensure that Message+ is selected as your default text app? Here are those steps: http://spr.ly/65828xaNG. Have you looked in the Play Store to see if Message+ needs an update?

NicoleB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MLueck
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I see the red Verizon Message+ icon, and next to it a blue Messages icon. I never went into that other/second one before. It wants to run me through first time setup, obtain permission to access my device... So I exited. This does not look correct.

Yes I keep my phone regularly updated.

Have you checked another similar version phone and do not see the issue I am reporting?

0 Likes
VENOYBOY47
Enthusiast - Level 2

Been having the same issue. Last night I uninstalled the updates on the

Messenger app and that fixed it. My unread message notifications are now

showing up on the Messenger icon on my home screen.

0 Likes
mirichm1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue.  I tried many things to fix it but the only thing that worked was disable the Message+ app.  That takes it back to the default settings.  I then enabled the Message+ app and opened it to make it my default message app.  It now works.  Do not update the app from the Playstore.  The update breaks it again.  Apparently the update breaks it.

VENOYBOY47
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, it only worked until Verizon pushed the auto update then the problem

resurfaced. I can't figure out how to disable the updates. Verizon needs to

fix it so we don't have to go through this.

0 Likes