4 DIGIT/5 DIGIT NUMBERS? HELP
FURBALL
My daughter is texting with 4 digit/5 digit numbers in the wee hours of the morning. How do I find out who is on the other end of these numbers?  I have blocked her in the wee morning, but she could still do it during daytime hours.  Anyone with any suggestions?  Thank you!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4 DIGIT/5 DIGIT NUMBERS? HELP
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner
You can look up the short codes on the CSCA Official Directory.   Good Luck!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
If you have the numbers then you can call Verizon and ask them to look them up for you. It can be any number of things; chat websites, voting for TV show contests, Facebook, Twitter...its endless really. Just call and they can look up the specific shortcode to tell you what it's for.
0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner
You can look up the short codes on the CSCA Official Directory.   Good Luck!!
0 Likes
NekoSaru
Contributor - Level 3

I can tell you a few common ones used.

40404 is Twitter

32665 is Facebook

69772 is MySpace

52280 is one of the local Radio Stations for me.

It is becoming common for Radio Stations to have a computer with a short code set up that listeners can text too. But since it's your daughter, it is probably one of the first 3 that she is texting.

0 Likes
RoniTalk
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can also add a block on premium text messaging by signing into your My Verizon and clicking on My Services then My Plan then Add/Delete Features...the block is called: Block Prem SMS (or you can call customer service and ask them to add the block)

That block will prevent the phone from being able to send and receive messages from 4-5 digit short numbers, she will still be able to send/recve her normal text messages from phone to phone.

NekoSaru
Contributor - Level 3

You can also add a block on premium text messaging by signing into your My Verizon and clicking on My Services then My Plan then Add/Delete Features

I don't know why, but the codes for twitter, facebook, AIM, and a few others are not classified as a Premium text but an enhanced text and will still come through a premium block.

Most premium text services have additional fees yet these services are free.

imapro
This site is an advertisement for short codes.  If there is a way of looking up the codes please educate me, because I put in common shoprt codes just to check it out and they are showing up as errors.
0 Likes
ras250
If you have the #s, verizon will really look them up for  you?
0 Likes
ras250
I, too, need a short code look-up the # is 13849.
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

imapro wrote:
This site is an advertisement for short codes.  If there is a way of looking up the codes please educate me, because I put in common shoprt codes just to check it out and they are showing up as errors.

You can only send to SOME short codes (Facebook, Twitter, etc) if you have registered your phone number and linked it to your account on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc - it's a way of updating your status or sending a "tweet" from your phone rather than your computer.

Although it is a 5 digit short code, there is no additional charge for premium messaging on FB,Twitter (not sure about myspace as I don't use that service).

Watch your bill for extra charges for premium messaging to these short codes--

0 Likes