Re: Ellipsis Sd Card
jwl67

There's more to the issue. There's 2 types of SD Cards. In Android-speak, the tablet internal memory is divided into app space & tablet space. Which gets confusing. Whatever, Internal Memory in Android is partitioned, and the partition available for data storage in Android is actually called sdcard (Yes, sdcard but it's just a partition in the internal memory). That's STILL Internal Memory (or, part of the paltry 8 GB). The physical SD card we're buying & putting in is actually (in Android-speak) sdcard_ext, or an External SD Card. In stock Android, you cannot move apps to an External SD Card. There is no such utility. I believe using the method described with the USB connection & command line entries with the SDK from your PC, you can only change the default app install to sdcard, meaning  the "sdcard" that's still part of the small internal 8 GB. Researched this afternoon & there are apps in Google Play like App 2 SD that again, can move apps to the "sdcard". but it's still the internal partition in the 8 GB. There's another app called FolderMount that looks like the solution: it will move apps to the actual External SD Card, which is really what we want to do. PROBLEM is, you have to ROOT the tablet to make it work, which VOIDS the Verizon warranty. So people who just want tablets (& maybe Verizon tech support!) & aren't Android whizzes would have to root their devices & go off warranty to try to make this work.  I'm glad we got the Black Friday Free deal. Hope there's some kind of update.

0 Likes
JimZim

I bought a 64 gig micro SD card and installed it in my Ellipsis tablet.  I was surprised to discover that it won't accept it.  When I went in to Settings-Storage and tried to "mount" the card, it simply would not do it.  I pulled the card out, inserted an old 4 gig card I had laying around, and was able to "mount" it with no problem.  So, it appears to me that there is some upper size limit to the type of micro-SD card that can be used on the Ellipsis tablet.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The specs say that a 32GB SD card is the max size. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/tablet/ellipsis-7?selectedContractTerm=2

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SFLgal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I managed to do this in WinXp. I assume it would be similar in the other OS's.

1st step is after getting into and unlocking the developer options is to set the usb to CDRom and copy the files on the phone to your computer or try and install from there using the phone's drive letter as assigned by the computer. Until I did that I could not get it to see the device with the command prompt.

2, the line in your instructions "type adb shell pm-set-install-location 2" is slightly off. It contains an extra hyphen. It should read: type adb shell pm set-install-location 2. You can follow up by typing: adb shell pm get-install-location. This will confirm success by returning 2 [externa]. Unfortunately I don't see dramatic improvement as a result. Still hoping for an update from Verizon. The AntTek Explore app from the store help too.

See: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-install-apps-onto-your-SD-Card-No-Root/?ALLSTEPS

0 Likes
Marcellus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Before doing any of the step listed by JOA Trades, you must first install the drivers.  After plugging your device in to your computer, you must first put your device in "Built-in CD-ROM" mode.  From there, you will need to go to the virtual CD-ROM that is mounted on your computer and run the install.bat.  This will NOT work on Windows 8 computers!

Once the drivers are installed, follow JOA's instructions, however, the proper command for changing the storage location is "adb shell pm set-install-location 2".

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Don_Wood

Borrowing a Windows 7 computer and following this last post opened up the tablet space for me. Thank you for all the help since the Verizon Reps said that they couldn't/wouldn't help me.

0 Likes
Kieta
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you I was able to do this as well. Helped a little but we still need some type of update from Verizon!

0 Likes
sapayseur
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any update on this issue?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you for your feedback. Following are tips for optimizing the memory on your tablet.

1) Please navigate to Settings>Apps>Downloaded>select an application>select “Move to tablet space”, if it is available.

2) Please navigate to Settings>Apps>Downloaded and uninstall any unwanted applications.

0 Likes
WickedAnnabella
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is worthless information because none of the preloaded apps that take up the space are movable to "tablet" space.  Please someone hear our complaints and get an update to re partition the space allocation and it will be all good! Smiley Happy

0 Likes