Re: Ellipsis Sd Card
vbctv
Enthusiast - Level 1

They need to issue an update to be able to use the sd card for apps or allocate more space to apps. I keep getting the insufficient storage space error because only 1GB is allocated for apps.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

vbctv wrote:

They need to issue an update to be able to use the sd card for apps or allocate more space to apps. I keep getting the insufficient storage space error because only 1GB is allocated for apps.

Sounds like the manufacturer decided to cut corners on space allowance instead of of making a decent tablet. For the price, I would have looked at better quality built tablet like the Nexus 7.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rkramer100vz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had my ellipsis tablet from Verizon since Tuesday, and already am bothered by some of these issues:

1. The amount of space allocated for apps is pitiful. Compared to my bottom of the line Apple ipad, the ellipsis can only handle one tenth of the number of apps.

2. To make matters worse, the bloatware apps loaded by Verizon are among the hugest apps, and hog too much of the paltry one gig of app space.

3. I am also suspicious of what I will call 4G addiction when the tablet is used for NAVIGATION on Google Maps or WAZE.

When driving in a suckout area with no 4G LTE coverage and no nearby wifi networks, the NAV on Google Maps appeared to send me in strange paths on my very first attempt to use it, sending me North to Flint MI when I intended to go South toward Detroit.  This clears up where 4G is present.  That low cost 4G only  chip is the likely culprit.

In total, Verizon has launched a tablet that is annoying in the first week of use.  I have taken my old Garmin GPS out of the drawer and put it back into my car for NAV and have deleted dozens of apps to reclaim space on my Ellipsis.  So this this tablet could be more aptly named the buyer's REMORSE rather than Ellipsis.  If VZ can remedy these annoyances I will delete or remove this post.

borednks
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had mine since Tuesday too. I'm seriously disappointed in the tablet. My biggest complaint is the storage issue. I'm a college student and had planned on using the Ellipsis for school. When I ordered mine I had hoped this would save me the expense of buying a new 11" laptop for school. However, the pathetically small partition for app space does not even provide enough space for me to install all of the apps I need. If I can't move apps to the SD card OR allocate more space for app storage that pretty much makes the Ellipsis worthless for me. I'm glad I got this free during the Black Friday sale. Had I actually paid full price for it, I would have been returning it. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent little tablet. I think Verizon was excessively optimistic with their claim that the Ellipsis would be "your go-to tablet." In my opinion, there are entirely too many restrictions imposed on it's use simply because of the app space problem.

0 Likes
JOATrades
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same issue with storage but just seemed to solve it through the SDK kit (https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html). Developer options must be unlocked to do this (in settings, go to "About tablet" then press "build number" until you're told it's unlocked). Make sure USB dubugging is enabled in developer options and the tablet is set to "Camera (PTP)" in the USB computer connection after it's connected to the computer. Open a command prompt (shift right click then "open command window here) from the unpacked SDK folder (SDK>platform tools).

From the command prompt, type adb devices to ensure your device appears and it should if the above steps are followed. After you have verified your device is seen, type adb shell pm-set-install-location 2. This sets the device to install apps to tablet storage (i.e., your installed and purchased separately sdcard). Once this is done, go to apps in your device's settings and begin to move any app that you can over to the sdcard.

This isn't a perfect solution but it frees a bit of memory to install plenty more apps without worry of running out of space.

Good luck. I'm satisfied with the tablet now.

Don_Wood

I followed your directions and with my Windows 8 laptop it still isn't seeing the tablet connected to it. I do see under portable devices in device manager QMV7A listed, but I also get an exclamation point under other devices with MT65xx android phone  listed. I turned on debugging and set it to camera(PTP). I also have restarted both the laptop and tablet. Verizon tech support told me that they can't help. Any more advice adb devices doesn't list it and when I try the next line it says no devices connected.

0 Likes
JOATrades
Enthusiast - Level 1

It took me a while to get my computer to recognize the tablet. I tried adb kill-server and adb start-server several times. Different sites recommended different methods. I tried connecting as MTP, as most sites recommended, but it didn't work. PTP was the only one that worked for me. I should have posted the OS that I am on; Windows 7, 64 bit.

0 Likes
BobbyV7887
Enthusiast - Level 2

An update is comming by the end of December. Verizon is aware of the problem.

SFLgal
Enthusiast - Level 2

We bought two of them. I guess we will be returning both while we still can. I was really liking it until the memory issue reared it's head and I discovered there wasn't any point in the 32 gig cards I installed in them. Bad design unless fixed. We'll return them while we can. I don't want to take the chance that they don't provide a fix. Don't buy these!

0 Likes
SFLgal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried this on two computers, a Xp and a Win 8 pro. I couldn't get it to see the Ellipsis on either computer in either MTP or PTP from the cmd from the unpacked SDK folder (SDK>platform tools). On the Win 8 computer, in Windows, it showed as an error under usb device as a phone in the device manager.

0 Likes