Ellipsis 7 Android 4.2.2 Video & Play Store Problems
Enter_Name

After using Ellipsis 7 for past 11 months without problems, around July 10, 2015, my Ellipsis 7 no longer would play videos from the internet such as YouTube.  It would still play already saved videos, but wouldn't play if you clicked on a video on-line.

Google Play Store also began acting strange.  Either 'No Connection', or 'Error 495', or 'Background Data Restricted', even though I was connected, & even though my background data wasn't restricted.

Did 5 factory resets.  Each time, would play video & Play Store would work, but only for so long.  The final restore, I did not install any of my apps, or transfer any of my saved data.  Ran the tablet like it was new from the factory.  Once again worked fine, then right back to the problems.

I happened to notice that after the reset, when I turned it off completely & then turned it back on, is when it went back to the no video/no Play Store state.  I could do restarts & the thing was fine, but a complete shut-down & turn-on causes it to screw up.  Something must've updated when I turned it back on, and the update caused the problem, is all I can figure.

Anyone else having this problem?  Anyone know if some sort of update was issued recently?  Anyone have any suggestions?  Anyone know how to stop the thing from updating automatically?

Android 4.2.2

0 Likes
Re: Ellipsis 7 Android 4.2.2 Video & Play Store Problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Look no further help is here! Being able to use you tablet is definitely important so I completely understand your concern.

I appreciate all teh troubleshooting you've done so far. Are you getting an error message when you trying playing a YouTube video? Are you using the YouTube app or are you going through the browser to access YouTube?

In regards to the Google Play store, are you connected to WiFi or our network when you get that error message?

Log out of the Google account through the Google Hangouts app. Then sign back in.

Then Go to Settings > Application Manager or Apps > Open "All" apps
From the list of apps find Google Play store > Clear Data and Clear Cache
From the list of apps find Google Service Framework > Clear Data and Clear Cache
Install or update app from Google Play Store

Then, Verify if Data is On. Go to System settings -> Data usage
Turn mobile data ON
Uncheck the `Set mobile data limit` check box

Retest and keep us posted.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Enter_Name

Before I even answer any questions, or perform any of your recommendations, let me say that after the most recent Factory Data Reset (which was either the 6th or 7th), it performed fine & would play video, as long as I didn't turn it off or restart it. I kept it on, even while charging, for 32 hours.

Then, I did a restart. It went back to the no playing of videos from on-line. Like before, it will still play already saved videos.

So, let's streamline this problem....

It loses it's ability to play on-line videos after restarting, or turning it completely off & then on again.  Let me add, my mobile data & WiFi were off at time of restart.

Does it receive updates while connected to the internet & then later during a restart, does it install them automatically?  Or can something be wrong involving startup that corrupts something?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the additional details. I researched this and do not show this being a known issue. If videos stop playing every time you power off or restart the Tablet you may need to take the Tablet into a VZW store for a hands on evaluation.

JohnB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Enter_Name

Let me add... I've discovered it will play YouTube videos only if I go to the YouTube full desktop page.  Unfortunately, videos won't play on other site desktop pages.

0 Likes
Steatopygic

I am having the same background data problems with my Ellipsis 7 minus the video problems. I have tried your suggestions. Along with a few others within no luck.

I have installed the all updates to the Google Play Store, likewise to Play Games. I went to Settings-Accounts and unchecked all the different syncs for the Google account. In fact I uninstalled Google it's self.

Still no luck. Without background data, most of the games won't play, I can't get to the play store, Google maps doesn't work properly (navigation being my main reason for having the tablet), and a few other little bothers.

Any more suggestions how to get this working properly? I would be grateful.

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am stunned that it is still not working. We are here to help. Place your device in safe mode for 24 hours. Let us know how the phone works while in safe mode. Click here for instructions: http://vz.to/1NIM4mh
AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes
Steatopygic

Wow. That was a quick response. I am stunned at your speed of customer

service. Putting to tablet into safe mode did not, however, fix the

problem.

This was a good try. I had forgotten about Safe Mode. I will give a

quick synopsis of the Safe Mode restart so you can see if I have missed

anything:

-First I held the Power Off option on the tablet until it asked if I wanted

to boot Safe Mode.

-I hit OK and the tablet rebooted (and more quickly than usual, I will have

to investigate the lag...)

-The tablet restarted with "Safe Mode" in the bottom right corner.

-I immediately hit the Play Store button, and it just as immediately

brought up the "Background Data Disabled box learn more/quit" box. (The

device is functioning much quicker in Safe Mode)

-I turned on Clash of Clans and when I hit the sign in button, it will only

allow starting a new game.

I want to reiterate a few things to focus on, if this problem can't be

fixed. I understand that you guys are not miracle workers, though you try.

What is important to me with the tablet primarily is Navigation. Google

maps specifically.

With no back ground data, then it loses it's location, and doesn't show

history. If there is a work around to fix this, without fixing the main

problem then that will be good enough.

Next in importance is the gaming. If I can get the tablet to log on to

the games, then I don't need access to the Play Store. Not ideal, but

acceptable.

The tablet will do all access properly if I am connected to WiFi. But

this is temporary, it only lasts as long as I am on WiFi. Or if I Factory

Reset the tablet. Then the tablet functions perfectly for about 2 weeks.

Then the Background Data issue starts.

As a side note, the last time I Factory Reset the tablet. I Disabled all

automatic updates, all google account syncs. All outside changes to the

tablet hoping this would fix the problem. It didn't work.

I have a 15 gig plan but, even with that much data I can not continue to

reset and reinstall the whole system twice a month. I really hope this

gives you some sort of clue as to the problem. I really enjoy this tablet

because I am getting old and blind, but only when it is working properly.

Thanks

On Oct 31, 2015 4:50 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
BJkansas

Im having the same problem. I did the factory reset and ALL the stupid checks to see if it would work but it just keeps going back and forth working once and the stopping. Pretty annoying!!!

0 Likes
RichardM

Exact same issues over "background data"  with the Play Store refusing to work and returning error code 495.  By connecting to Wi-Fi, this all seems to go away and the Play Store functions properly and apps update.  The tablet refuses to update apps over the Verizon cell network.  Go figure? 

0 Likes