Disabling data usage on Elipsis Tablet does not turn of Data Usage
dm805

Yesterday purchased 3 tablets for my kids. First thing I did when I got home was add home wifi and disable data usage. Ridicoulous but this does not disable data usage. Tablet used 4gb of data before I realized what was going on, all the while connected to home Wifi, like the data connectio took precedence. This is a major flaw of this tablet. Called Customer Service, waiting for a mgr to call back. Unfortunatly waiting on hold for over 45min without getting to tech support but in the end the only way to turn off data apparently (or at least I found) was to put in Airplane mode. This is not right!

Even support forum states this is the way to enable/disable data. I feel dooped!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disabling data usage on Elipsis Tablet does not turn of Data Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you waited so long trying to get through to Tech Support dm805. I know being able to disable Mobile Data is important to keep usage under control. As Ann154 mentioned, you are able to turn off Mobile Data in Settings. You can go to Settings> Data Usage> Select Mobile Data (at top right hand side), and it will turn off.  You can also go to Settings> More> Mobile Networks> Uncheck Data Enabled.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There should be a way to turn off the cellular data connection without using airplane mode. Although that's what I regularly do on my old phones to keep them from constantly searching for a SIM card or cellular signal when I use them as a wifi only device. Airplane mode saves on the battery too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you waited so long trying to get through to Tech Support dm805. I know being able to disable Mobile Data is important to keep usage under control. As Ann154 mentioned, you are able to turn off Mobile Data in Settings. You can go to Settings> Data Usage> Select Mobile Data (at top right hand side), and it will turn off.  You can also go to Settings> More> Mobile Networks> Uncheck Data Enabled.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
tiffibean13

My tablet hasn't left my house since I got it. I connected to Wi-Fi and turned off the mobile data. Yet, my tablet has used more data than my phone. Please explain this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tiffibean13, I know the importance of understanding your tablet data use! The best way to determine which apps/functions are using the most data is to view the data reported on the device. This information can found in the tablet settings, under Data usage (scroll to the bottom) ^TS . Which apps are listed there?

TanishaS1_VZW

0 Likes
dm805

Tanisha thanks for your input but the point is not to see what apps are using the data, the point is that even if you turn data usage off, the tablet continues to use data even while connected to WiFi.

To the other user above. I was told by verizon customer service that the only option at this point to resolve the issue is to put it in airplane mode. It is apparently a defect with the software. To me this is not acceptable.  I am looking to return the tablet.

0 Likes
mrobaer

I had the same experience. Unboxed, set up WiFi, disabled mobile data, then shocked by data usage.

I had to turn off mobile data and restart the tablet for it to truly be turned off. Customer service set me up with promotional data for a year in the process of figuring this out.

0 Likes
mrs_williams104

I find this a pretty funny response as my tablet has been dead for over a week now, and yet as I check the data usage, it shows it using .00001 GB every few minutes or so. It may not be that much... but you add that up? Yeah It's taking up over 1 GB of data usage. I have it on airplane mode, I have the data switched off, and the Verizon rep did it for me! So explain to me why the tablet is still registering data usage (however small) every few minutes?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mrs.williams104,

Sorry to hear that that you have been having trouble with the device showing data usage while in airplane mode with cellular data off. Could you clarify for us where you are seeing the data usage. Is it on the device, your bill or or when signed-in to My Verizon on our website? When you write that the device is dead, do you mean that it has been powered off completely?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mrs_williams104

There is absolutely no power going to the device. It had been powered off

for almost 2 weeks. I see the data usage on our monthly bill.

On Dec 30, 2014 8:12 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes