Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,840 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Ellipsis Jetpack MHS900L Battery overheated
OMEGATOO
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought an ellipsis jetpack mhs900L in store in Harahan, Louisiana 2/2018.  About a week ago I noticed connection problems and when I checked the hotspot to reset it I noticed that the cover was off.  The battery had swelled up and popped the cover off.  It was plugged in to a household outlet with the supplied charger and cord, never was charged any other way.  I don't know how to contact verizon to report this defective battery which may be putting others at risk of explosion or fire.

The hotspot still functions without the battery, but I need either a new (different brand) battery or a new hotspot, since I don't want to risk another defective battery.  I can't find any appropriate heading in the support options to report this and just keep going around in circles.

Thanks for any help.

Labels (1)
Re: Ellipsis Jetpack MHS900L Battery overheated
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important that you have a device that works safely and effectively, OMEGATOO. In circumstances like this, where you have overheating equipment that has visible damage as a result, we encourage you to take the device into a store to be inspected. Once we confirm that the device is showing signs of overheating per our Overheating Equipment guidelines, we will take the appropriate steps to ensure that you are provided with equipment that works correctly.

PeterP_VZW

0 Likes
OMEGATOO
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did bring the battery to a store near my work because it was my quickest option (not where I bought the hotspot).  The lady who greeted me there said that they didn't have replacement batteries in their store.  I asked if there was any way to report the possibly dangerous battery and she said since she had never had anyone tell her about this problem before, it was probably nothing to worry about.  She offered to throw the battery away for me since she didn't think any other action was necessary.  I was a little surprised to learn that the universe was limited to her experiences, so I kept the battery.  I'll try again with my own store when I get time.  Meanwhile, other people may be at risk.  That's what I'm trying to get across.  That store was the Gulfport, MS store at 12100 Highway 49 N., in case you want to update the training there a bit.

Thanks,

DP

vzw_customer_support

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That location was a third party retailer.

Cellular Sales Gulfport

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rosannem_vzw
Verizon Employee

I apologize for the store not helping you the way that they should have. We do want to be sure this is handled safely and properly. I would encourage you to visit one of our corporate locations. You can find one near you here: Verizon Wireless Store Locations Near You | Verizon Wireless

RosanneM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Fam12Geneo

I have my second jetpak and this second battery has started to swell. I took my device to the Verizon store and was told a new device would cost me over $200.00. They do not sell replacement batteries and suggested I drive about 25 miles to a bettery store and buy a new battery there. There was nothing representatives can do about the problem in-store. It's my problem, not theirs.

Thanks for listening.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Fam12Geneo, your store experience is very important to us, so we apologize for any shortcomings in the service that you received there. We are here to assist by providing all the options. A battery swelling is concerning. Which store did you visit? Has there been any odor or liquid coming from the battery? Did the representative check if the device is still under the manufacturer's warranty?

DavidC_VZW

Vendingqueen

Same experience here!  Just bought a new $40 battery at Batteries plus.  Has a 1 year warranty.  Calls to warranty number given in literature were hung up on twice because first I do t have service(not) and second the choices were all inappropriate and no choice for warranty or customer service.  Just very frustrating. Thanks for the tip about using without battery. I’ll just take it out until I need it.  That should solve problem. Thanks for nothing Verizon!

0 Likes
Lwhit55
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a battery swell up too.  I took it to a Verizon corporate store where I was told it was my fault for keeping the charger plugged in all the time.  They did not have replacements and told me to go to a bettery store and buy a new one.  The battery store did not have them in stock, but he also told me it was my fault for keeping it plugged in all the time.  No one told me that when they sold me the Jetpack.

NETACT55
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have experienced the same problem with my Jetpack mhs900l. I contacted Verizon service and talked with Frank about a week ago, he stated I needed to replace the battery but they did not have one. He suggested I go to for a Verizon store but we are 2 and 1/2 hours from the nearest store. Frank set up an appointment to meet with me today to discuss battery replacement options. Frank never called back. We called the Verizon store in Nampa Idaho and explained the swelling battery and they suggested we bring it in and purchase a replacement. Again, we are 2 and 1/2 hours away. I am very disappointed with Verizon service, please note my Jetpack is just over 1 year old. We contacted another service agent who also stated we would need to buy a new battery that Verizon did not stand behind the battery that is included with the unit beyond the first years warranty. Very disappointed with Verizon service.

0 Likes