You lose 20GB of cloud storage with Verizon Plan
James42

Got an offer for Verizon to move to the new "Verizon Plan" for $5 less per month (for 3GB data). However, of course there is a catch: It appears that you lose access to free 25 GB of Verizon Cloud storage if you are not using it; you get 5GB on the new plan.

From Verizon Plan FAQ:

"I want to change to The Verizon Plan from The MORE Everything® Plan, but I don't want to lose my free 25 GB of Verizon Cloud storage. What can I do?

If one of your existing devices uses the free 25 GB of Verizon Cloud storage, you won't lose it. However, any new devices added to your account won't receive 25 GB for free. With The Verizon Plan, 5 GB of cloud storage is free when you add it using the Products and Apps page in My Verizon."

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: You lose 20GB of cloud storage with Verizon Plan
Weth
Legend

Yes, make sure you add it before switching, then you keep it. 

James42

Do you know of any other changes that come with moving to the new plan?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

IF your plan has more than 6GB of data your line access goes from $15 to $20 if you are on payment plan or you are out of contract. 

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If you were not using it, then you didn't lose anything except the chance to use it for free one day....maybe...if you wanted it or needed it.

cswardrep
Enthusiast - Level 1

I didn't even realize I was eligible for free cloud storage, especially not 25GB, on the More Everything Plan. I never activated Verizon Cloud until today but have already switched to the Verizon Plan. For some reason, I thought the Verizon Plan was going to be less expensive. BTW, it isn't...same total for 2 lines on 6GB. Three lines would make it more expensive due to the higher line access charge. I did get 100GB Google Drive storage and $100 Google Play credit for my new HTC One M9, so I really can't complain!

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Typically most Grandfathered in plans are going to be less expensive. Prices are always on the rise.

SBKohn

I'm struggling with the same decision, to stay with the More Everything Plan, or switch to the Verizon Plan. I also receive a 20% Corp Discount and that helps since I have a 20GB data plan currently. My instincts tell me that the older plans are better, otherwise Verizon wouldn't encourage people to change. I've been with them for over 20 years and unfortunately, there is no such thing as a Loyalty Program anymore. Any suggestions are appreciated. Here is my current profile:

3 -  Iphones (6, 6 and 5c) on the "old" Verizon "Edge" Plan, which each have about 9 months left, since they were purchased last Christmas. Each line receives a $25 discount on the $40 activation fee

1 - Iphone (5s) that is paid for and eligible for an upgrade. This line pays the $40 fee (unlike $15 above)

1 - Basic phone (mom's) which is also eligible for an upgrade, but doesn't have a $40 fee 'cause it's a flip phone

1 - Old Verizon Jetpack which is also eligible for an upgrade

Everyone's comments about Verizon Cloud data are true. You lose quite a bit of Verizon Storage with the Verizon plan....if you use it. Also, they replaced the old "Edge" plan with a Device Payment Plan which is a 24 month, rather than a 20 month plan. Doesn't seem like much, but they added 4 months to their "payoff".

My dilemma is I want to get at least one, or two 6s phones and am struggling with the best way to do it. Verizon Customer Service is nice, but they can't really do a complete analysis and advise the best Total Cost solution, particularly over a one or two year (going forward) period. Can/do I purchase a $199 iPhone 6s (or two) with my upgrades available and give one to the (current) 5c line and one to the (eligible) 5s line? Should I continue paying that Edge plan (for the 5c) and hope I retain the $25 discount when it's done. Or, enter into a new Device Payment Plan, pay full retail over time? Can I even do that with the Basic Phone upgrade and not activate that line, but instead give it to the 5c line? And what about the 5s upgrade? Do I use the new Device Payment plan, or buy a new phone? It seems that if and when I switch to the Verizon Plan, I get a $20/line discount (as opposed to the current $25 discount), but they tell me that the $20 discount remains after the phone is paid off?  One person said the same is true for my current Edge plan lines, meaning the $25 discount remains after the contract expires, yet another one said it goes away.

Verizon's plans are ridiculously confusing and albeit nice, the Cust Svc reps are not equipped to handle "complex" situations. When you're spending +/- $350/month, someone should pay attention other than the consumer.

Maybe it's time to switch to ATT and have them give me everything for free, just for switching?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I believe you are a bit misinformed/confused.

The $25 discount is on the line access fee - regularly $40 and it occurs each month. Once you're out of contract you can apply a different $25 discount called the month2month discount. This could apply to the iPhone 5s - if you're no longer on any type of contract you can apply it online or via chat or phone call with Verizon.

I've been told my plan is a loyalty plan (though I don't know it for a fact) had it about a year, but I don't believe it can be incorporated into other savings; for instance you already get an employee discount so you can't have both.

Edge and DPP have always been 24 months to the best of my knowledge - they did forego the "Edge Up" with DPP so there is no more of this pay off 75% and then get a new phone and a new payment plan.

If you activate the cloud NOW on your current more everything plan when you sign up on the new Verizon plan you still get to use the cloud. It's just new folks or folks who weren't already using it don't get it when they switch.

I think you should stay where you are. The new plans have a line access fee of $20 - with the More Everything plan you can get them as low as $15, but you do need to buy the phone outright or used.

0 Likes
SBKohn

Some of your points are valid, but my overriding issue is "how" to upgrade phones, not which plan is better. The 5s will receive a $25 discount when it's out of contract and you're right about the "Edge Up" 75% going away. That's actually very important, since I'm over 50% into my Edge plans on 3 phones. The Corp Discount has nothing to do with anything and will/should apply either way. And regarding Verizon Cloud, the issue is the amount of cloud storage is different under each plan. 25 (currently) versus 5 (Verizon Plan), per phone.

0 Likes