Verizon Cloud for Desktop Manifest Error
questioner4

From the Verizon Wireless Web site I installed the "Verizon Cloud for Desktop" software on my Windows system.   That went well.  When I start the software, I get the Verizon Cloud sign in screen, but before I can enter a userid and password I get another window named "Cannot Start Application".  That window contains the text:  "Cannot continue.  The aplication is improperly formatted.  Contact the application vendor for assiatance."  When I click on the "Details" button I get another window with lots of technical text, but contains this paragraph:

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of https://tr.snapchat.com/cm/s?pnid=100&cb=1578761436407 resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Exception reading manifest from https://tr.snapchat.com/cm/s?pnid=100&cb=1578761436407: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
+ Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 1, position 1.

Has anyone seen this error before and what can be done about it?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Cloud for Desktop Manifest Error
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you are having issues with the Verizon Cloud for Desktop, questioner4. We can certainly help you look into this further and I want to get some additional information. Is the computer connected to the internet when you try to complete the setup? Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the application?

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes
questioner5

This is questioner4, I had to set up a new username, questioner5, because of some snafu on the Web site, but that is another matter.

My answers are Yes to both questions.  I am using a Lenovo desktop system with Windows 7.  The version of Verizon Cloud is: 17.3.1.34.

Here is the full text of the error log file:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.42000
System.Deployment.dll : 4.8.3761.0 built by: NET48REL1
clr.dll : 4.8.4069.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
dfdll.dll : 4.8.3761.0 built by: NET48REL1
dfshim.dll : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
Deployment url : https://tr.snapchat.com/cm/s?pnid=100&cb=1578961232805

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of https://tr.snapchat.com/cm/s?pnid=100&cb=1578961232805 resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Exception reading manifest from https://tr.snapchat.com/cm/s?pnid=100&cb=1578961232805: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
+ Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 1, position 1.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [1/13/2020 7:20:33 PM] : Activation of https://tr.snapchat.com/cm/s?pnid=100&cb=1578961232805 has started.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [1/13/2020 7:20:33 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
- Exception reading manifest from https://tr.snapchat.com/cm/s?pnid=100&cb=1578961232805: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl, Uri& deploymentUri)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Xml.XmlException
- Invalid character in the given encoding. Line 1, position 1.
- Source: System.Xml
- Stack trace:
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.InvalidCharRecovery(Int32& bytesCount, Int32& charsCount)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.GetChars(Int32 maxCharsCount)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.SwitchEncoding(Encoding newEncoding)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseXmlDeclaration(Boolean isTextDecl)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestValidatingReader.XmlFilteredReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

0 Likes
questioner5

GersonG_VZW,

You replied on the same day as my question, then no more.  Can I get some help?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Dbgoodiv

I get the exact same error every time I start up my laptop. Let me know if you get a response to fix this please. [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]

0 Likes
richs007
Verizon Employee

I used to work on this product several years ago and I don't think they made any changes to the login screen that would cause this error because it looks like snapchat is throwing the error.  There is no reason the login screens would need snapchat. 

A couple of things.  While the Verizon support folks monitor these threads, the community is mainly intended to be a user to user support channel.  Something like this might need a little more one-on-one working.  I'd suggest sending the logs and an email to the developers inbox: verizoncloud@ verizonwireless.com.  The logs can be found in ...\AppData\Local\Verizon\Verizon Cloud folder.  You'd have to replace the ... with the username appropriate to you.  For example, if you log in with johndoe, then most likely it will be in: C:\Users\johndoe\AppData\Local\Verizon\Verizon Cloud

If you want try to figure it out by yourself, try going to https:\\cloud.verizonwireless.com and logging in to see if you get the error there.  If you do, it's likely a browser plugin that is causing the issue.  If it doesn't happen.

Things could have changed since I left so send a note to my former colleagues with your logs and they will be happy to look into it for you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to get to the bottom of this and figure out what is creating this error you receive. Are there any updates available or that have been pending for your Windows 7 software? StanleyC_VZW

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Snapchat doesn't have a dedicated app in the Microsoft Store. The CEO? of the company does not like Microsoft, and, has no plans to issue a Snapchat app for Windows. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the errors being generated. 

0 Likes
questioner5

I am glad to see more interest in the topic, thanks to everyone.  Here are my replies in order.

Dbgoodiv:  At least there are two of us.  Yes, I will reply here if a solution is found.

Richs007:  Thanks for your suggestion.  I have started exchanging e-mails with Verizon Cloud support and I will report my progress here.

StanleyC_VZW:  No pending updates as I just installed Microsoft's Febuary patches.

dexman:  Don't know, but if that were true, I would think there would be a lot more users having this problem that the two of us noted here.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Dbgoodiv,

We absolutely want you to receive the support you need with the Cloud Desktop app. To get additional help, click this link and look for "Where can I get additional help with Verizon Cloud" for the options on receiving help directly from the developers: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-cloud-faqs/ They will be able to work with you directly on investigating this issue further.

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes