Trying to Get Out of Cloud and Can't
VZW_Bites
Enthusiast - Level 2

So a few days ago I received one of the infamous "your free Verizon Cloud service" is expiring letters. Like gets mentioned here all the time: a 5 GB free cloud account I've had for almost 5 years, offered to all 5 lines lines on my account (but only used by one) is suddenly about to "expire". OK, well it's the last straw and the reason I'm leaving Verizon, so I need to download my stuff before I go.

The mobile app is impossible to use for large volume download. I can't even use it to do clean up before download. After deleting numerous photos then going and trying to empty the Trash the app just spins forever then eventually times out with "Trash is empty". No, it most certainly is not. But even if everything in the app was working right it still wouldn't be practical to use for downloading thousands of files to transfer elsewhere.

So I tried installing the PC app. Also doesn't work. It installs fine, it logs in fine, then it just says, "trying to download your cloud folders", (or something like that), but it never does. Tried it on a second PC, but it doesn't work there either.

So I tried the web interface. That worked for about 10 minutes. I was able to download then delete about a third of my files, then it crashed. Now when I try to access any of my content or Trash in that UI all I get is "Oops! Something went wrong. Hit reload or try again," which doesn't do anything. Support had me try the usual: different browsers, clear cache, reboot, different machine--but nothing worked. I waited a day and tried again hoping some background process might run to resolve it but nope, still broken.

So now I'm in a situation where I can't practically get to my stuff, dreading the idea of trying to start a new support case about all this by chat, or getting transferred by phone until I get to cloud support, waiting on hold interminably in the process. Sure Verizon, yeah, I'd definitely pay money for this super high quality service </sarcasm>.

So, word to the wise, if you are planning to try and get your stuff out of the Verizon Cloud, even if it's not much stuff, do it very, very far in advance so you don't miss the arbitrary free Verizon Cloud expiration date deadline.

Tags (1)
Re: Trying to Get Out of Cloud and Can't
njmagic
Enthusiast - Level 3

You found the best way to download a lot of content from your Verizon Cloud with the PC app.  You didn't say how you tried it so I don't know if the error you go was with the sync folder or the restore funciton under the backup tab.

Try with these instructions: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-200364/ 

I like this approach over the web inteface because web interface has to gather information about all of the files and put it into a single large zip file.  The PC interface just downloads individual files into the PC folder of your choosing.  The other challeng with the web interface is we are forced you to log out of the web interface after 60 minutes.  When that happens, the download continues but if you close the browser, the download stops.

If you need assistance with the PC app, write the developers at verizon cloud (at) verizonwireless.com.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of having your information safe and stored. Please tell us, do you have additional questions after trying the steps in the link provided above?

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes
VZW_Bites
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the suggestion @njmagic The error I'm getting is with the Sync folders and looks like this so I don't think the article you linked applies:

VCldErr.png

The thing is, if you look at the other tabs the app is obviously logged into my account and connected in other regards. I've tried changing the sync folder location on my PC, which didn't resolve things. As I mentioned, I've already tried another PC. Also just tried it using my Verizon wireless service as my ISP with anti-malware and firewall off (except NAT) and that didn't resolve it.

I'd very much prefer to use the PC app since I'd be able to transfer everything directly from Verizon Cloud to my new cloud provider's folders in a single step. The web UI was an acceptable alternative, though you're right, it would have been a multi-step hassle. At this point I'll take anything that works.

I got a PM from a support staff member asking for some additional info so I'll see where that goes...

0 Likes
richs007
Verizon Employee

The sync folder doesn't apply because it is used to sync content across computers and doesn't apply to any content already backed up in the cloud. 

To get content already stored in the cloud to your computer, you need to use the restore instructions and not use the sync folders.  Open the app like you have, click the Backup tab to the left of the settings tab, click the restore button, pick the device you want to download the content from, pick the location to restore the content to  and let it run.

0 Likes
VZW_Bites
Enthusiast - Level 2

Very intuitive. That gets me about 80% of my stuff back but something is still still not working. Last ~20% won't download.  Hits a certain point and errors out:

BUErr.png

I also still can't access the Trash folder from any of the apps.

0 Likes
richs007
Verizon Employee

Glad to hear you made some significant progress!

From your screenshot, it looks like it's puking on the Apple's HEIC files for some reason.  It's probably best to reach out to the developers.  They may need the logs to figure out what's going on.  

Trash is an interesting thing.  Before I left the cloud team, trash was only accessible from the website.  They recently added it to the mobile app as well but I don't know if it's been added to the PC app.  Again, the developers should be able to assist there as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We truly don't want to see you go and want to ensure you can save all of your content to your computer, VZW_Bites. Let's continue to dig into this. When downloading content to the computer from the Verizon Cloud, the content will save into a zip file. Just to confirm have you followed the steps listed under "Download from Verizon Cloud to your computer", http://spr.ly/66041qIlO?

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
VZW_Bites
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately the problems are more fundamental than that. I can't get as far as selecting files to download because when I login to the web interface it only shows an error-I can't select anything to download.

Final update: after lots of back and forth in PMs with support folks where they mostly asked me to try the same things over and over again that didn’t work, they finally pointed me toward the Cloud Support team. I contacted the cloud support team as instructed. Never heard back from them so, despite the pain, I went through the list of files that had downloaded, figured out which files hadn’t, and downloaded those onto my phone by picking them manually.

Once done, I was able to delete all files to the Trash, and oddly, once I deleted everything in Photos and Videos the entire Web UI started working for me again, including the Trash UI. So I then was able to go in and empty the Trash (which makes me believe this was all some sort of corruption in my account or profile).

In any case, clearing it all out finally allowed me to delete my Verizon Cloud account once and for all. It’s more than disappointing that Verizon would try to squeeze customers like this. It can’t cost Verizon more than a few cents a month to maintain free 5 GB accounts, if that, so they are gambling that customers won’t fret about being squeezed for another $5 over a couple cents. Based on the comments starting into the forum here I’d bet this isn’t going to turn out well.

My family’s five lines will be with someone else by the end of the month. That might not mean a lot to Verizon. But as the IT contracting officer for one for the largest health care organizations in the US, yeah, I’m going to make this hurt hard across several Verizon business units for years to come. We don’t do business with unethical companies, or companies with demonstrated track records of providing poor product or poor support-and this was a train wreck at every level.

If you plan to leave, don't wait until the last minute to try and get your content out of Verizon Cloud folks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

VZW_Bites, we thank you for the updated info and for your time, patience, and troubleshooting assistance too. We certainly understand how vitally important it is to be able to access your backed-up stored data when using cloud services, and we're sorry to hear that you've deleted your Verizon Cloud account. Understanding that you didn't receive a follow-up call from our Cloud Support Team is disappointing, and I apologize. The troubleshooting steps we've provided while working with you were not intended to inconvenience you in any way, and we'd regret losing you and your family as our customers. Cloud services are essential, and we understand how important it is to keep costs down.  We'd like to turn this around and to continue being your wireless service provider for many more years to come. Since we will need account-specific information from you, we’ll need your permission to gain access. Please check your Inbox as we’ve sent a Private Message to you regarding on this topic:

http://spr.ly/66071qLef

- RobertC_VZW

0 Likes