Filing system in Cloud is awful-- how to straighten out?
massachusetts123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,  I just purchased Verizon Cloud and really anticipating to use it for my PC.  I've started transfering files from computer to website cloud.  Just looked at the progress of transfers (will be running all evening),   and I see that each file page is not with its file folder.  It is impossible to know what each file page/doc is without its File Folder.

And the file list is ridiculously long. I'm scrolling down and down and down.....  and have been able to view just maybe 50 file pages so far.  (I've got about 200 GB of files downloading to Cloud. or uploading?) And as you scroll down, it takes forever for the screen to catch up and keep loading the next set.  This is impossible to work with.

Is there a way to make the files at the website of Cloud look like anything like a File Cabinet?  Just like Norton Backup does?

Poor functioning.  Can anyone advise how to straightout its appearance and functioning so I can use it?  I really appreciate any advice.

Small question:  At the website for my Cloud,  closer to top right there is a click for "Upload".  Which way does that mean?   Upload files from computer to Cloud?  Or from Cloud to computer/device?

Thank you so much!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Filing system in Cloud is awful-- how to straighten out?
JasonB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello.

First - Nomenclature:
Upload -> From your Device or Desktop to Cloud
Download -> From Cloud to your Device or Desktop
Backup -> Copies from a Device or Desktop into the Cloud, where you can delete the one and not affect the other.
Sync -> sharing the contents between to locations (folders) where if you add/delete on one location the other makes the same change (mirroring).
Repo ->  Repository, in the use that each contributing source to the Cloud Account is a Repo (as seen in the Device App under the "All Files" navigation menu section).  If you add to cloud from an LG, a Motorola e5, and the desktop, the All Files section will separate your content by source

So in the web portal the 'Upload" button is to take things from your local storage Up to the Cloud.

For connecting your PC to the Cloud, you can use the Desktop App to Backup various folders on the PC, as well as have a sync folder.  It also allows a Restore of selected content from a Repo in the Cloud to your PC. this has some advantages over the Browser version for 'Set & Forget" and speed, but not visability of content which still requires a browser or a device.

For your question about mimicing the file structure of your local source (Device or Laptop) in the Cloud app, the Cloud UI does not at this time have that functionality.  You can use the Albums tab in the Cloud App to manually group content, but your file structure (like you see in Windows Explorer or Finder) will not be reflected in either the Browser or device versions.

We are applying comments and suggestions like this to our product review teams for evaluation in future releases, so we do appreciate the feedback.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
richs007
Verizon Employee

I think if you use the PC/Mac app, it retains the hierarchy, within the PC app for backup/restore.  That app is more like a true backup/restore app.  The website & mobile apps are more like content viewers and don't retain the hierarchy.

The PC/Mac app also doesn't automatically log you out and is a little faster when backing up/restoring content.  There is no view capabilities in that app, simply backup/restore.

0 Likes
JasonB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello.

First - Nomenclature:
Upload -> From your Device or Desktop to Cloud
Download -> From Cloud to your Device or Desktop
Backup -> Copies from a Device or Desktop into the Cloud, where you can delete the one and not affect the other.
Sync -> sharing the contents between to locations (folders) where if you add/delete on one location the other makes the same change (mirroring).
Repo ->  Repository, in the use that each contributing source to the Cloud Account is a Repo (as seen in the Device App under the "All Files" navigation menu section).  If you add to cloud from an LG, a Motorola e5, and the desktop, the All Files section will separate your content by source

So in the web portal the 'Upload" button is to take things from your local storage Up to the Cloud.

For connecting your PC to the Cloud, you can use the Desktop App to Backup various folders on the PC, as well as have a sync folder.  It also allows a Restore of selected content from a Repo in the Cloud to your PC. this has some advantages over the Browser version for 'Set & Forget" and speed, but not visability of content which still requires a browser or a device.

For your question about mimicing the file structure of your local source (Device or Laptop) in the Cloud app, the Cloud UI does not at this time have that functionality.  You can use the Albums tab in the Cloud App to manually group content, but your file structure (like you see in Windows Explorer or Finder) will not be reflected in either the Browser or device versions.

We are applying comments and suggestions like this to our product review teams for evaluation in future releases, so we do appreciate the feedback.

Tags (1)
massachusetts123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jason, Thank you for this excellent and comprehesive explanation of these terms. It’s a keeper. 

But I am very sorry there isn’t a better filing system at this time. 

I do appreciate that my comments and feedback would be considered. 

Thank you for this helpful reply. 

massachusetts123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Rich, Thank you for reply.

And with both replies, unfortunately, this system won’t meet my need. 

Not to worry, Verizon covers all my home, office, and wireless services. Just no Cloud.  : )