File File structure
Carm-0
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I found bits and pieces here and there but nothing solid in one article.

If someone who has experienced these could chime in would be great, but I am sure the developer might have to answer some of them

1) When I am backing up from a device, I do not see a way to choose a certain folder ( observation)

2) If I were to restore lets say music as that is what I am using this for, does it place and recreate the original folder structure. As an example lets say song "Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2.flac" is taken out folder "Decades" which is a sub-folder of "Music" which is on the root of the device. Is there a hidden column in the DB for the device folder structure to restore it the way it was or does it plop them all in a certain folder, and what is that folder?

3) When selecting to back up "Music" , is there a folder it specifically looks for or does it go through your device and get all of specific file extensions mp3, m4a, FLAC, etc. and then upload them from the entire device?

4) No dark theme ( observation ) for this app and all other verizon apps I have seem to noticed.

5) What kind of meta-data is collected and stored and for how long?

6) Encrypted backups. I am not talking about a password for the backups that is totally different and not secure. Is the Data encrypted at rest ; NOT in transit?

Thank you all for your time and hopefully if someone cannot answer some of these a developer could be brought in to answer some

0 Likes
Re: File File structure
richs007
Verizon Employee

I'm a Cloud user like yourself but I do have some insight into the app.

1) When I am backing up from a device, I do not see a way to choose a certain folder ( observation)
That is correct.  Verizon Cloud backs up from certain locations on mobile devices.  On PC you have more control.  From the Verizon Cloud FAQ page https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-cloud-faqs/

Verizon Cloud backs up from multiple locations depending on the device type.

Content Type Stored Location on Device

ContactsPhone or Contacts app
Messages1Messaging, Messages or Text app
Call Logs1Call History or Recent tab in the Phone app
Photos and VideosAndroid (both internal + external removable memory)
  • Root folder3
  • DCIM and sub-folders
  • Pictures and sub-folders
  • SD_VIDEO folder in the Casio Commando 4G

iOS:
  • Camera Roll and Videos in the Photos app
Music2Android (both internal and external removable memory)
  • Root folder3
  • Music and sub-folders
Documents2Microsoft® Office documents (PDF, PPT, PPTX, DOC, DOCX, XLS and XLSX) located anywhere on the device will be backed up

1 Messages and call logs can't be backed up from or restored to iOS devices.
2 Music and documents stored on Verizon Cloud can be streamed and accessed by using the Verizon Cloud app on iOS devices, but music and documents can't be backed up from or downloaded to iOS devices.
3 Root on a smartphone or tablet is equivalent to a C: drive on a computer; it's the highest folder level.

2) If I were to restore lets say music as that is what I am using this for, does it place and recreate the original folder structure. As an example lets say song "Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2.flac" is taken out folder "Decades" which is a sub-folder of "Music" which is on the root of the device. Is there a hidden column in the DB for the device folder structure to restore it the way it was or does it plop them all in a certain folder, and what is that folder?

Currently there is no support for retaining the folder information for content backed up from mobile devices.  The developers continue to improve the product based on feedback like this.

3) When selecting to back up "Music" , is there a folder it specifically looks for or does it go through your device and get all of specific file extensions mp3, m4a, FLAC, etc. and then upload them from the entire device?

See the location list in question 1

4) No dark theme ( observation ) for this app and all other verizon apps I have seem to noticed.
Verizon Cloud doesn't have a theme pallete

5) What kind of meta-data is collected and stored and for how long?
Not sure other than the meta-data that is attached to the backed up info.

6) Encrypted backups. I am not talking about a password for the backups that is totally different and not secure. Is the Data encrypted at rest ; NOT in transit?
Content is encrypted in transit and at rest

0 Likes