Cloud Stuck on "Scanning content..."
ShnikeJSB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

My Galaxy S6 unceremoniously died after 3 years of service last Friday, so I went into a Verizon store and bought a new S9+. I've fully updated my S9+, including all apps. When I go into Verizon Cloud --> Settings --> Tools --> Content Restore, it just sits there saying "Scanning content..." and all of the categories under "Found so far to restore:" stay at 0. I'm paying for the 250GB service, so that isn't the problem. I've let it sit for hours, and nothing has changed. I've tried force stopping the app and relaunching, clearing cache, rebooting, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc in various combinations -- but it never budges from "Scanning content..." All my stuff is there to view as normal in the Cloud app, and it also works fine on a PC browser, but I want to restore all my backed-up stuff with "Content Restore" -- which I can't.

Any ideas here? I mean, BESIDES dumping Verizon Cloud... I back up with Google as well, but it doesn't have a restore function. I want everything back on my new phone, and on my new 400GB MicroSD card.

Thanks,

Josh

Labels (1)
Re: Cloud Stuck on "Scanning content..."
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to get your stuff transferred,ShnikeJSB. I'm sorry to hear your old phone called it quits. Let's look into this together and make sure the new phone is working correctly. Have you connected to Wifi yet on the new device? Do other applications work? Is it set to back up only on Wifi?

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ShnikeJSB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I have connected to WiFi... I've tried both my home WiFi and at work. Nothing makes a difference. Yes, it is set to back up only on WiFi. Everything else on the phone works as expected, all apps behave as they should.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the confirmation, ShnikeJSB. I want you to try something for me. Please navigate into the Playstore and search for the Verizon Cloud. Once done, see if there is an option to uninstall the latest updates, if so, please uninstall the latest update. After that, see if you can restore your info from the cloud without reinstalling the latest update. Please let us know if there was any progress with regard to this step. 

JoeyM_VZW            

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
rbarnet
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know you sent this over a year ago but wondering if you ever figured out the problem. 

richs007
Verizon Employee

Try letting it run overnight.  If there are a lot of items in the cloud, particularly a lot of text messages, it will take time, like hours, to complete the scanning.

The other thing if that solves it for you, you might look into the cost of the 500G service.  If I recall correctly, it's just penny more for 2x the storage.

JasonB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Sometimes if a scanning process gets 'stuck' the quick fix is to back out of the content restore and come back in, or close and re-open the app.  This is true in mobile games and well as other apps in general where a server call can't complete.

Also, since Cloud looks to compare what it has vs. what your device is missing (Cloud will not offer content that your device already has saved), and you are on a new phone, then Cloud is going to have to compile nearly all its saved content.

Also, if your storage level is running low, we now offer 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB Share plans.  Price visible in the settings page in Cloud app.

0 Likes