Activating a pre-owned device that used Verizon Cloud
MerriVic
Enthusiast - Level 2

I needed a spare phone, just in case of emergency. A friend had a device in great condition and I bought it from her. She removed all her data and Google account and discontinued service. The phone is completely devoid of her data EXCEPT....she has a Verizon cloud app. When I view the files in the app, it shows 300+ photos ready to download.

I don't use cloud services. I'm a doubter of their overall security.

My questions: If I try to activate service with this device will it go into lock mode as stolen? By using the Verizon cloud, are device manager permissions granted, like Google device manager? If I can activate service without it locking, am I going to download her cloud data? How can I get the device to "forget" these cloud files? I've taken out the SIM, that she used with her phone number, and reinserted, rebooted, blah blah, thinking that would make the phone realize the number wasn't active and the cloud files would no longer be available. Nope. I want so badly to put my SIM, that's active on my currently used device, into her phone but fear it'll become a paperweight stops me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Activating a pre-owned device that used Verizon Cloud
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Remove her SIM card and factory reset the phone. This will out all of the previous owner information including the cloud data. They should have factory reset the device and removed the SIM card before they gave it to you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Activating a pre-owned device that used Verizon Cloud
MerriVic
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll give this a try tomorrow. She said she did a factory reset but guess the SIM days triggered her Cloud account. Thanks, Ann154

0 Likes