VZ 4G LTE home router ASK-RTL108 WIFI Signal
grolston
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just started using the VZ 4G LTE home internet and I am having weak wifi signal in areas of our house. I was hoping to extend the signal by using either 

1. Additional router

2. Access Point device

3. Range Extender

In doing this, I tried option 1 and it worked for about an hour then crashed. The router I plugged into the LAN port on the 4G LTE home router used class A network and I set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1. I would restart the 4G LTE home router and it would work for about another hour or so and then crash again. What limitations are there for devices on the network and what hardware I can use to extend my wifi signal. Ultimately I don't care about using a router or not (that is trying to keep my current home network), I just care about getting better signal in places in my home (I telework and kids are homeschooled now so we need multi areas in our house to do remote work).

I also read that there is a device number limitation which may be my issue here as we have a bunch of iot devices we use that take up very little bandwidth (e.g. kasa light switch, a couple alexa dots, a a ring doorbell). If so, is there a way that I could possible work a deal to add the additional devices? We are in a rural area that absolutely no broadband service and it would be a lifesaver for me to migrate all to VZ.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZ 4G LTE home router ASK-RTL108 WIFI Signal
419BobC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had the same problem. I found that a Wi-Fi extender only work somewhat, and a separate Wi-Fi router wouldn't work past a few hours. I did switch some of my devices over to the 2nd Wi-Fi network on the router, because I kept getting the access point was full warning when we had to many devices online. The second network says 5g on the router, but it runs on the LTE network also. We had problems last night with slow speeds. Our network was only running 1.54 mbps download, and 3.93 mbps upload speed. I had to use the rest button on the back of the router to get it working correctly again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

grolston, thank you for sharing this helpful information. Making sure you are able to have a strong signal throughout your home is important. Let's review the details of your concern. Can you please clarify how the Network Extender is crashing? Have you tried to reset your Wi-Fi Router? 

0 Likes
grolston
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I setup a wireless extender and it works fine so far. The issue was when I attached a router to to the 4G LTE router. What I am having to do is transfer all network to the new network. Switch my current router into wifi extender and then add all devices back to it. I am still at the 2.5 Ghz limitation for devices. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the details, grolston. When you use an extender is like using a new router, so you will need to connect all the devices to the new equipment. Please keep in mind that the connection will depend on the device. Not all devices are compatible with the 5 GHz connection. I have a Ring Doorbell at home, and it's only capable of connecting to the 2.4 GHz. Does this help?  

AaronS_VZW

MLBeech

I was told by Vz Tier 2 technical support that the 4G LTE Router is not compatible with any network extender devices or any access point devices.  I tried 3 different manufacturers and hired a network consultant to try and help me get a better wifi signal through my home and after hours or frustration discover it is NOT possible to use a network extender or access point with the Vz 4G LTE router.  Can you confirm that is true? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MLBeech, we understand the importance of making sure you have a strong network connection in your home. The VZ 4G LTE home router is not compatible to work with a Network Extender. You may want to look into adding additional Antennae signals to your router to receive a boost in your connection. Please keep us updated on the progress. 

0 Likes
DWINFLORIDA
Enthusiast - Level 2

MLBeech..my experience has been the same as you describe. I first was using an external access point, and the router would lock-up after several hours, requiring a power-cycle of the router, until it happened again. That same AP worked flawlessly with my previous broadband service and router (CenturyLink DSL).

I've been able to add a switch due to a need for additional wired connections throughout my house, that has worked fine, but for whatever reason, that makes no logical sense, the router has an issue with an external AP.

0 Likes
Veritas1757

I have a wireless router plugged into a LAN port on the back of the ASK-RTL108. That router is set with the WAN address of the 192.168.1.1...in other words, the same as the default gateway address of the ASK device. The default gateway for the wireless router is set to 192.168.0.1. I've had no problems wit this setup.

You might also want to look into ethernet-over-powerline devices such as the TP-Link AV2000. I have one of these devices connected to a LAN port on my router. That broadcasts ethernet throughout my house on the electrical wiring. At opposite ends of my house I have two more of these devices. Into each of them are plugged wireless APs. The wireless router and both WAPs all use the same SSID. Using this architecture I have strong WIFI everywhere in my house and wireless devices switch seamlessly between the WAPs and the wireless router.

0 Likes
wof

Hi Veritas1757. do you mind sharing which wireless router brand and model are you connecting with the ASK-RTL108. I want to try the set up as I am having a bad coverage/reliability on the network just with the ASK-RTL108 router.

Thanks much!!!

0 Likes