New unlimited plan effect on HomeFusion Broadband
CrazyBear

I have Home Fusion broadband at home, 30gig plan, and I go over limit pretty much every month.

But I also have a smartphone with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, that I use an additional 20gig on every month.

It seems almost too good to be true to go to this new "Single smartphone plan" (says with up to 2 additional devices also) and to change my current base price from $260 a month, down to $110 a month. And get unlimited data?

I am seriously wondering what's the catch? What am I missing?

Kevin J

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New unlimited plan effect on HomeFusion Broadband
rcschnoor
Legend

woodinthewoods wrote:

I just spoke to a Rep.that guaranteed the mifi will be unlimited and when I brought up that it's being also mentioned that it will only be 10 GB she said that was wrong.. got it in writing!

You are mistaking being "slowed" after 10 GB as being "capped" at 10 GB. 10 GB at 4G speeds followed by UNLIMITED GB at 3G speeds is still UNLIMITED.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The home fusion would be limited to 10GB before being slowed to an unlimited amount at 3G speed. Hotspot on phone would get another 10 GB before slowed to 3G

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

While you may be right, I don't think it is so clear on this device as it IS NOT listed under "Mobile Hotspots" but instead listed under "Home & Office Solutions". With this distinction, Verizon does not necessarily consider it a "hotspot".

Regardless, dropping from $260/month(+ overages) to a much lower amount, even at 3G speeds, is quite the savings. I guess it depends on how important speed on that device is to you before you switch from your Home Fusion plan. It seems if Verizon wants to sell ANY of these devices they would treat it a bit differently if they expect to charge a premium for having one vs a mifi, or else they need to drop the price on these drastically.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Putting on the Verizon executive thinking cap, the thing Verizon hated with the old unlimited plan was people using unlimited data as replacement for home internet.  There was never an unlimited home fusion plan, people just put unlimited phone SIMS in a home device and used it as unlimited internet. 

They designed a plan to prevent that again.   That is why any device that can allow other devices to connect to it (hotspot, jetpack, home fusion) will have the 10 GB high speed limit. 

The limit is for any Internet device as Verizon defines it.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Weth wrote:

The limit is for any Internet device as Verizon defines it.

Actually, the wording is for "Mobile Hotspot", not "Internet device", and Home Fusion is NOT mobile as the cantenna is mounted to your home, not to be moved except by a Verizon tech. You may say the term "tethered", but people don't normally use that term when connected to their home wifi router which is exactly what Home Fusion is. The distinguishing factor is that it is not a MOBILE hotspot which is what is indicated in Verizon's terminology AND what MiFi devices are categorized under. MiFi devices have always been handled differently than Home Fusion which actually had a completely different plan not available to MiFi devices. It is not inconceivable that Verizon would treat these differently unless they simply want this technology or portion of their business to fade away.

Verizon Unlimited faq:

"What happens once I've used the 10 GB limit for Mobile Hotspot?

With the new Verizon Plan Unlimited, you get a 10 GB allowance of high-speed 4G LTE data for Mobile Hotspot each billing cycle. Once you've used the 10 GB of 4G LTE data, your Mobile Hotspot data speed will be reduced to 3G speed for the rest of the billing cycle. Data will continue to be unlimited while your Mobile Hotspot is reduced to 3G speed."

woodinthewoods

I just spoke to a Rep.that guaranteed the mifi will be unlimited and when I brought up that it's being also mentioned that it will only be 10 GB she said that was wrong.. got it in writing!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

woodinthewoods wrote:

You are mistaking being "slowed" after 10 GB as being "capped" at 10 GB. 10 GB at 4G speeds followed by UNLIMITED GB at 3G speeds is still UNLIMITED.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The error here is waiting until you get the answer you want and then claiming it as fact.  Reps are often wrong.  The last one to answer is not always right.  It is well known that you can ask 5 reps a question and get 6 answers.  The reps that have been more reliable, and there are several saying the same thing, it is 10 GB LTE then unlimited 3 G speed data. 

0 Likes
CrazyBear

Talked with a online tech this morning, and they agreed. The home fusion broadband would be unlimited at 3G after the first 10gb.

0 Likes
woodinthewoods

We have discussed your change to the unlimited plan which includes a Jetpack Mifi device. Your Mifi device has unlimited access to your new plan. Your device will access to at least 22Gb of 4G LTE speeds and may throttle down after that depending priority of usage

0 Likes