How far away from router can the device be?
KAGDADDIO

We have had a Verizon wifi modem for years without issue until the device died a month ago and we had to buy a replacement.  Of course Verizon doesnt stock them and it would be 2 months until they had one.  So I bought one on Amazon.  But now my daughter cant connect from upstairs and has to bring her laptop downstairs to connect to the router.  I noticed the new modem does not have the 2 antennas on the back like the old one but it has a place for them.  the manual says they are optional but I cant find a place to buy them.  How do I boost the signal strength so it internet works upstairs again?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How far away from router can the device be?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Seems like the antennas on the back of the T1114 are intended for Voice and Data connections to Verizon, not for WiFi:
http://www.alternativewireless.com/machine-to-machine/hotspots/novatel-t1114-router-signal-boosters....

>  But now my daughter cant connect from upstairs and has to bring her laptop downstairs to connect to the router...I placed it in the same place as the old one but we cant connect to it from upstairs.  Also cant connect the TV's from upstairs either....If I cant get the router to work both upstairs and down stairs then the whole thing is a waste of money.

This sounds like a WiFi issue on the new home router device, not a connection back to Verizon issue.  If so then you need to worry about WiFi troubleshooting with the new device first.  External antennas will only help with your connection to Verizon once the device in question is connected over WiFi to the T1114.

If the new T1114 is not able to provide enough signal strength for your devices to work around the house then consider setting up a 2nd Access Point for the upstairs.  There are many ways that you can accomplish this goal.  I would advise looking into using one of the Ethernet cable ports on the back of the T1114 and run a cabled Access Point to the upstairs as the first option.  If cables are too inconvenient then you can look into the alternatives such as wireless bridging and repeating your way into the lower performance areas.  Another option would be to relocate the current T1114 to an area that better serves both floors.

To assist you in your WiFi search I would advise getting a simple smartphone WiFi Analyzer utility such as WiFi Analyzer for Android.  Perform what is known as a Site Survey to map out the effective area your T1114 is able to cover.  Adjust the environment or move the device around and retest for confirmation that the WiFi reception is improved or not.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to learn that the modem you had has passed away. Let's see if we can help with the new one. Is this for your FIOS services? What is the make and model of the modem you purchased?

AnthonyM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KAGDADDIO

Anthony I cant have FIOS at my house since we live in the country.  The device is a Noatel wireless model T1114 . PI placed it in the same place as the old one but we cant connect to it from upstairs.  Also cant connect the TV's from upstairs either.  So far after 15 days of this "unlimmited " plan I am not impressed.  We hit the 10 gig platue about 2 days in.  So now we basically have just better than dial up.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sorry to learn of not being able to have FiOS service because of living in the country, Kagdaddio. Let me continue to assist you with your data speed access. I do regret that you're not impressed with the unlimited data plan as it relates to the 10GB. We do inform that once you get a 10 GB allowance of high-speed 4G LTE data for a Mobile Hotspot or broadband internet router, the data speed will be reduced to 3G speeds for the rest of the billing cycle. However, data will continue to be unlimited while your speed is reduced to 3G speeds.  The great news is when your next bill starts; you will have the 4G speed as desired. If you want to go on a plan to be at a consistent 4G speed, change over to the plan that best suits your data needs. Here a link at the data plans we offer http://vz.to/2doUT7Y .

EdwinW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KAGDADDIO

Yeah we were not told of the 10 gig cap just the 22 gig cap.  But what ever...If I cant get the router to work both upstairs and down stairs then the whole thing is a waste of money.

So rather than focusing on trying to sell me more [Removed] can somebody please advise how I can get the service I am paying for .  I have a Novatel wireless model T1114 and using the "inlimited plan" and nothing in my house can connect to the router from upstairs.  When I had the original box from Verizon from 3 years ago we were able to connect to the internet from anywhere in the house.

Please advise as if this isnt resolved before my next billing period I will be switching to a new providor and not Verizon.

Ken

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Seems like the antennas on the back of the T1114 are intended for Voice and Data connections to Verizon, not for WiFi:
http://www.alternativewireless.com/machine-to-machine/hotspots/novatel-t1114-router-signal-boosters....

>  But now my daughter cant connect from upstairs and has to bring her laptop downstairs to connect to the router...I placed it in the same place as the old one but we cant connect to it from upstairs.  Also cant connect the TV's from upstairs either....If I cant get the router to work both upstairs and down stairs then the whole thing is a waste of money.

This sounds like a WiFi issue on the new home router device, not a connection back to Verizon issue.  If so then you need to worry about WiFi troubleshooting with the new device first.  External antennas will only help with your connection to Verizon once the device in question is connected over WiFi to the T1114.

If the new T1114 is not able to provide enough signal strength for your devices to work around the house then consider setting up a 2nd Access Point for the upstairs.  There are many ways that you can accomplish this goal.  I would advise looking into using one of the Ethernet cable ports on the back of the T1114 and run a cabled Access Point to the upstairs as the first option.  If cables are too inconvenient then you can look into the alternatives such as wireless bridging and repeating your way into the lower performance areas.  Another option would be to relocate the current T1114 to an area that better serves both floors.

To assist you in your WiFi search I would advise getting a simple smartphone WiFi Analyzer utility such as WiFi Analyzer for Android.  Perform what is known as a Site Survey to map out the effective area your T1114 is able to cover.  Adjust the environment or move the device around and retest for confirmation that the WiFi reception is improved or not.

0 Likes
KAGDADDIO

John,

Thanks for your response.  While it may not be Verizon data being the issue it still comes down to Verizon is unable to provide me with the equipment to have the level of service I am paying for.  Since I originally bought the equipment and service from Verizon and they dont support it everyone should be aware.  Still very frustrated that when the old device died Verizon took the position that it was my responsibility to externally purchase a router since they dont stock them.  But I guess thats what can be expected for customer service and will accept that as the best its going to get,

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Verizon is unable to provide me with the equipment to have the level of service I am paying for

Verizon only makes claims to support hardware while it is under warranty.  After the warranty expires or is voided then it is no longer their requirement to support you with that device.  They will continue to support your service but you then are on the hook to provide your own hardware to interface with that service.

> I originally bought the equipment and service from Verizon and they dont support it everyone should be aware

VZW is not the only company to behave this way.  What Verizon normally does instead is offer upgrades and discounts to help you replace the hardware with new ones.

0 Likes
KAGDADDIO

I tried to buy a replacement from Verizon and they dont carry them and told me that I needed to go to Amazon.  So is this how they handle phone support also?  Good to know since they have been trying to convince me to change all my family and employees over to Verizon.

0 Likes