Can I use a 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice as a backup connection?
RWild

For years I've run a dual WAN router with cable as the primary connection and DSL as the failover connection.  Im looking at replacing the DSL with the Verizon 4G LTE device and am a little confused by what I read in the manual.  I would also like the device to accept WiFi connections (i.e., be an access point).

is this as simple as running a cable from the WAN port to the secondary WAN port on my router, enabling LTE + WiFI, and turning of DHCP (and NAT) on the Verizon device?  What I want is outbound traffic on 4G/LTE only on failover and WiFi traffic passed to the router all the time.  I don't think whether I use the phone matters.

Any comments, muffled laughter, etc.?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice as Backup Connection
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> is this as simple as running a cable from the WAN port to the secondary WAN port on my router, enabling LTE + WiFI, and turning of DHCP (and NAT) on the Verizon device?

Almost.  You would want to connect a normal LAN port on the 4G router to the 2ndary WAN port on your special home router.  WAN to WAN is redundant in this scenario as WAN suggests an incoming internet connection as opposed to a normal LAN connection for outgoing local network connection.  Or you could set it up the other way if you want the 4G router to act like a normal AP (plug a LAN port on dual WAN router to WAN port of 4G router.

Possible setups:

Cable ISP === (WAN) Modem (LAN) === (WAN) Dual WAN R (LAN)=== (WAN) 4G R ))) PC1

or

VZW ))) 4G R (LAN) === (WAN) Dual WAN R (LAN) === PC1

The configuration beyond that will depend on what your special dual WAN router is able to do.  I would assume that it wants to be the only DHCP service so chances are you will need to disable DHCP on the 4G router.  Of course if you do that then anything directly connected to the 4G router will not work without a static IP address.  Might be a good idea to run through the user guide for your special home router and determine what the proper configuration should be first.  Post your model number so we can lookup a guide if you need assistance.

The tricky part here is that you suggest you want WiFi traffic from the 4G router to default back to the dual WAN router as its primary gateway.  I'm not sure if it will work like that or not but it should if the default gateway is properly configured to point to the Dual WAN router.  Normally the AP is not the same as the WAN connection.  If the Dual WAN router can then make the decision to use the Cable WAN connection or the 4G WAN connection it should be fine.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> is this as simple as running a cable from the WAN port to the secondary WAN port on my router, enabling LTE + WiFI, and turning of DHCP (and NAT) on the Verizon device?

Almost.  You would want to connect a normal LAN port on the 4G router to the 2ndary WAN port on your special home router.  WAN to WAN is redundant in this scenario as WAN suggests an incoming internet connection as opposed to a normal LAN connection for outgoing local network connection.  Or you could set it up the other way if you want the 4G router to act like a normal AP (plug a LAN port on dual WAN router to WAN port of 4G router.

Possible setups:

Cable ISP === (WAN) Modem (LAN) === (WAN) Dual WAN R (LAN)=== (WAN) 4G R ))) PC1

or

VZW ))) 4G R (LAN) === (WAN) Dual WAN R (LAN) === PC1

The configuration beyond that will depend on what your special dual WAN router is able to do.  I would assume that it wants to be the only DHCP service so chances are you will need to disable DHCP on the 4G router.  Of course if you do that then anything directly connected to the 4G router will not work without a static IP address.  Might be a good idea to run through the user guide for your special home router and determine what the proper configuration should be first.  Post your model number so we can lookup a guide if you need assistance.

The tricky part here is that you suggest you want WiFi traffic from the 4G router to default back to the dual WAN router as its primary gateway.  I'm not sure if it will work like that or not but it should if the default gateway is properly configured to point to the Dual WAN router.  Normally the AP is not the same as the WAN connection.  If the Dual WAN router can then make the decision to use the Cable WAN connection or the 4G WAN connection it should be fine.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

It may actually be more like this.

4G Router as a modem/WAN connection:

Cable ISP (LAN) === (WAN) Modem (LAN) === (WAN) Dual WAN R (LAN) === PC1

VZW ))) (WAN) 4G R (LAN) === (WAN) Dual WAN R (LAN) === PC2

4G Router as an AP/LAN connection:

Cable ISP (LAN) === (WAN) Modem (LAN) === (WAN) Dual WAN R (LAN) === PC1

Dual WAN R (LAN) === (WAN) 4G R (LAN) === PC2

0 Likes
RWild

Really, almost that easy!

Seriously, thanks for the input.  Having read the manuals for the Verizon device and my router (ZyWall 35) and your posts, I'm still at the point of believing it will work but not able to say exactly how.  Guess I just need to decide if I believe it enough to commit two a 2-year contract (minimum of $480) and order the then free device.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Verizon does have a very limited trial for any new contracts or devices.  Check with VZW before you consider buying anything to confirm what the return policy would be.  That way you can get it home, set it up and try it out for a few days.  If you cant get it working then send it back and terminate the plan.  VZW would still likely charge you a restocking fee for the router but its going to be cheaper than committing to a 2 year plan that you cannot use the way that you want to.

0 Likes