4G/LTE Installed - Dynamic DNS
RFEngineer
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Verizon Wireless TG790 4G router for its "4G/LTE Wireless Installed" service has a menu option to add a Dynamic DNS service directly into the router -- and not on a resident client PC application.  This is the preferred dynamic DNS configuration since the DNS will update even if a PC on the network that runs the dynamic DNS app crashes.   I use the no-ip.com and DynDns.com DNS services.  I have accounts for both.  I have tried configuring each dynamic DNS service, one at each time, and neither works with the Verizon TG790 wireless router.  It's as if that feature is not yet implemented in the TG790 router.  Verizon Wireless customer service refuses to offer any support on this feature and their suggestion is to "find an IT guy" to figure it out.  Guess what?  I'm the IT guy with several network certifications. The issue is with the router, not the IT guy.   Clues, anyone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4G/LTE Installed - Dynamic DNS
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I use the no-ip.com and DynDns.com DNS services.

Do these services require a public IP address to function correctly?  If so your 4G Router is sitting behind the VZW NAT and will only see the NAT firewall.  There may not be a way for the services to respond correctly.

A quick google search suggest that atleast DynDNS requires a public IP to function correctly:

http://www.dyncommunity.com/questions/23345/undefined.html

If so then you would have to consider the only known work arounds for the VZW NAT firewall configuration:

1. Setup and configure a VPN connection to a VPN server that provides public IPs

2. Purchase a static IP from VZW for $500

3. Terminate with VZW and consider migrating to another ISP that offers free/cheaper public IPs

4. Migrate from the 4G Router to LTE Internet Installed which does provide a static IP

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> I use the no-ip.com and DynDns.com DNS services.

Do these services require a public IP address to function correctly?  If so your 4G Router is sitting behind the VZW NAT and will only see the NAT firewall.  There may not be a way for the services to respond correctly.

A quick google search suggest that atleast DynDNS requires a public IP to function correctly:

http://www.dyncommunity.com/questions/23345/undefined.html

If so then you would have to consider the only known work arounds for the VZW NAT firewall configuration:

1. Setup and configure a VPN connection to a VPN server that provides public IPs

2. Purchase a static IP from VZW for $500

3. Terminate with VZW and consider migrating to another ISP that offers free/cheaper public IPs

4. Migrate from the 4G Router to LTE Internet Installed which does provide a static IP

RFEngineer
Enthusiast - Level 2

John,

Thank you.  I am using The "LTE Internet Installed" service from VZW.  The DynDNS client running on a LAN PC works just fine and keeps up with VZW's public IP address changes.  So, DynDNS is in fact getting from the public WAN to LAN with no trouble.

What I am trying to accomplish is to move the service from the PC to the VZW wireless router that has a menu for managing the Dynamic DNS service in the router.  The menu lets one choose the service and enter the log-in ID and password just like the PC client application.  Same function, just moving from a PC to the VZW router.

Paul

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I took a look at the User Manual for more clues.  The section on Dynamic DNS suggests there should be a setup page with information on the accounts you have configured into the device.  What does the status say on the router for your two accounts?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Looks like the DynDNS community put together a nice troubleshooting guide for us to leverage in this scenario too:

http://www.dyncommunity.com/questions/426/how-do-i-access-my-device-from-outside-my-home-net.html

Try working through the steps here and comment where in the process you are getting stuck.

0 Likes
RFEngineer
Enthusiast - Level 2

John,

Many thanks for your thoughtful answers.  From here, I think it's important to hear from anyone who has actually been successful in using the dynamic DNS service in the TG790 LTE wireless router.  I first need to know if the dynamic DNS feature really works or if it's been quietly disabled by VZW.  Anyone?

Paul

0 Likes