Highlighted

Total Protection - Assurion - never again

We paid $11 per month per device for total protection on 4 devices, $44 per month or $528 per year for nearly two years.  We did file for a screen replacement on one phone and later when the screen began to fail actually got a replacement phone from Assurion.  Problem is the replacement phone is a refurbished Assurion phone that failed in a couple months.  The second phone they sent to replace it began overheating then unfortunately got wet and was not covered by the warranty (even though iPhones are supposed to be waterproof) so they wanted a $200 deductible.  We chose not to pay the deductible and discontinue the service.  Our $200 payment would had only gotten us another cruddy Assurion refurbished phone. 

Moving forward I will never buy this program again, better to self insure than deal with the claim process, the time involved, and then get cruddy refurbished phones for your deductible money - NO THANKS.

Highlighted

Re: Total Protection - Assurion - never again

Community Manager
Community Manager

I am sad to hear that you had a bad experience with Asurion. I am a consumer myself and I have used Asurion plenty of times without any issues. I am shocked to hear that you had so many issues. If you do not want the insurance then you can remove it here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/managing-products-and-apps-faqs/ I highly do not recommend this. Do you have any questions regarding this information?  AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

@agorena123 wrote:

We paid $11 per month per device for total protection on 4 devices, $44 per month or $528 per year for nearly two years.  We did file for a screen replacement on one phone and later when the screen began to fail actually got a replacement phone from Assurion.  Problem is the replacement phone is a refurbished Assurion phone that failed in a couple months.  The second phone they sent to replace it began overheating then unfortunately got wet and was not covered by the warranty (even though iPhones are supposed to be waterproof) so they wanted a $200 deductible.  We chose not to pay the deductible and discontinue the service.  Our $200 payment would had only gotten us another cruddy Assurion refurbished phone. 

Moving forward I will never buy this program again, better to self insure than deal with the claim process, the time involved, and then get cruddy refurbished phones for your deductible money - NO THANKS.

I have never considered Asurion worth what it costs.   It just does not provide good value for the money. We have been self-insuring for almost 20 years.    With a number of lines that I have had on my account, putting aside $10 a month for each phone over 20 years means never having to do installments, or worry about a broken phone ever again.

In 20 years we’ve only had three losses. One cheap basic phone that got lost, one qwerty  phone that was chewed by a puppy, and one iPhone that just failed and stopped working.  
    For the past 5 years we’ve used that slush fund to buy phones out right each year if we want.  We resale gently used on Swappa.  

Highlighted

I wouldn't say I had a bad experience but folks should know they are not replacing phones with an original iPhone, they replace them with their refurbished products - basically someone else's problem phone. 

Also based on the cost its probably more cost effective to self insure unless you and your family are completely accident prone and easily break stuff.  So never again.

It has made me rethink the Verizon relationship and will re-evaluate continuing our phone plans there.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

You do understand it’s All Asurion, and not Verizon.   
 Asurion provides insurance through almost every carrier in the USA.   At&t, t-mobile, and most small carriers too.  You can’t escape Asurion by switching carriers. 

Asurion has a monopoly as nearly the only provider for insurance for electronics and mobile devices. If you purchase an item of electronics off of Amazon and click on the protection plan and read it it is also provided by Asurion.  

if you read your insurance paperwork it specifically says that phones will be replaced with new or refurbished parts or devices..  It’s the same way if you have an accident in your car. Most insurance companies will not pay to have new parts put on your car they insist on remanufactured or refurbished or reclaimed parts. Very few exceptions

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

agorena123, keeping you with Verizon is a priority. It's possible for a replacement phone to be certified like new. Here is a web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/insurance-and-device-protection/ with all the information about insurance. We hope this information is helpful. 

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes