Highlighted

Is anyone happy with "Total Mobile Protection"?

I purchased protection for my daughter's phone for obvious reasons.  When her phone was damaged and I approached the Verizon office that I had purchased, I was told that there would be a $150 deductible for repair of her phone.  Somehow this was omitted in the discussion with the Verizon "Sales Person" that I had spoken with during purchase.  The Con Man that I spoke with at Verizon was rude and very condescending in his response. Very deceiving with their sales pitch. 

Is there anyone at all that are happy with this program, or possibly feeling that they may have been mislead?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Is anyone happy with  "Total Mobile Protection"?

Leader

dgc1962 wrote:

I think it's worthless. My S7 has developed the vertical pink line on the display.

This is not covered by Asurion and I am told that this is because it is still covered by Samsung as the "total protection" extends the manufacturer's warranty by one year. However, Samsung tells me that I will have to be without my phone for 2-3 days on either end for shipping as well as 7-10 days for service. I found out about this because I was looking into upgrading to an S8 and asked about the impact of this pink line on the trade-in. I was told that the phone with the pink line has ZERO trade-in value. So, I have a phone with no trade-in value that is under supposed "total protection" that I can only get fixed by being without it for two weeks. I could buy several phones for what I've paid over the years for "total protection", but am still left with a phone that Verizon tells me is worthless to them. To be fair, I was offered a refurbished phone by a Verizon associate, but was told that even the tiny scratch on the front of the phone might mean that they would charge me up to $500 (when the trade-in value, if it had any, would only be $230). So I'd just have to send it in and be at their mercy as to what I might owe them? Well, maybe they're thinking: "Hey, this guy's been paying for "total protection" for years, he'll probably go for it." So I'm pretty much left with keeping this phone until it's completely paid for. At that point I'm going to have to think seriously about whether or not I want to stay with a company that "rewards" customer loyalty this way.

The extended warranty that is part of the Total Mobile Protection is provided by Verizon not  Samsung. Samsung will only help you within the first year. That is why Verizon provides this option so that you have protection after the first year. As long as the phone has no physical damage or liquid damage Verizon will send you a replacement free of charge. Then you have to send the original phone back to Verizon.

Call them or go to a corporate store. They will help you.

[Removed]

Post edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: Is anyone happy with "Total Mobile Protection"?

Sr. Leader

I am certainly not happy with the program and that is why I choose not to get it. I prefer to simply take care of my phone and purchase a new one when I need/want one.

What did you expect the deductible to be? Just like ANY insurance, there is a deductible and a premium.

Highlighted

Novice

Its phone insurance just like anything else you have to have a deductible to get the phone replaced or fixed. I prefer to have it on my phones because most of them are $700+ and it is usually a heck of a lot cheaper to just pay $150.00 to get another one if it gets destroyed or stolen than the full price of it.

I also agree with rcschnoor​ at the same time if you have the ability to replace and repair phones without the protection plan do that its less on your monthly bill. My family just seems to enjoy breaking their phones so it would be stupid for me not to have the insurance.

Highlighted

Leader

ALSO, Asurion sends you detailed information about a week after you add this to your account. You obviously didn't read it and just assumed that you knew what you were getting into.

Of course, you could have NOT taken the insurance and had to pay $600+ to replace the phone that your daughter broke.

Highlighted

I think it's worthless.  My S7 has developed the vertical pink line on the display.

This is not covered by Asurion and I am told that this is because it is still covered by Samsung as the "total protection" extends the manufacturer's warranty by one year.  However, Samsung tells me that I will have to be without my phone for 2-3 days on either end for shipping as well as 7-10 days for service.  I found out about this because I was looking into upgrading to an S8 and asked about the impact of this pink line on the trade-in.  I was told that the phone with the pink line has ZERO trade-in value.  So, I have a phone with no trade-in value that is under supposed "total protection" that I can only get fixed by being without it for two weeks.  I could buy several phones for what I've paid over the years for "total protection", but am still left with a phone that Verizon tells me is worthless to them.  To be fair, I was offered a refurbished phone by a Verizon associate, but was told that even the tiny scratch on the front of the phone might mean that they would charge me up to $500 (when the trade-in value, if it had any, would only be $230).  So I'd just have to send it in and be at their mercy as to what I might owe them?  Well, maybe they're thinking:  "Hey, this guy's been paying for "total protection" for years, he'll probably go for it."  So I'm pretty much left with keeping this phone until it's completely paid for.  At that point I'm going to have to think seriously about whether or not I want to stay with a company that "rewards" customer loyalty this way.

Highlighted

Leader

dgc1962 wrote:

I think it's worthless. My S7 has developed the vertical pink line on the display.

This is not covered by Asurion and I am told that this is because it is still covered by Samsung as the "total protection" extends the manufacturer's warranty by one year. However, Samsung tells me that I will have to be without my phone for 2-3 days on either end for shipping as well as 7-10 days for service. I found out about this because I was looking into upgrading to an S8 and asked about the impact of this pink line on the trade-in. I was told that the phone with the pink line has ZERO trade-in value. So, I have a phone with no trade-in value that is under supposed "total protection" that I can only get fixed by being without it for two weeks. I could buy several phones for what I've paid over the years for "total protection", but am still left with a phone that Verizon tells me is worthless to them. To be fair, I was offered a refurbished phone by a Verizon associate, but was told that even the tiny scratch on the front of the phone might mean that they would charge me up to $500 (when the trade-in value, if it had any, would only be $230). So I'd just have to send it in and be at their mercy as to what I might owe them? Well, maybe they're thinking: "Hey, this guy's been paying for "total protection" for years, he'll probably go for it." So I'm pretty much left with keeping this phone until it's completely paid for. At that point I'm going to have to think seriously about whether or not I want to stay with a company that "rewards" customer loyalty this way.

The extended warranty that is part of the Total Mobile Protection is provided by Verizon not  Samsung. Samsung will only help you within the first year. That is why Verizon provides this option so that you have protection after the first year. As long as the phone has no physical damage or liquid damage Verizon will send you a replacement free of charge. Then you have to send the original phone back to Verizon.

Call them or go to a corporate store. They will help you.

[Removed]

Post edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Given your reply, I can only assume you're just here to troll, because you obviously don't know what you are talking about in the least.  Just before I had written the above, I had just spent 2 hours both chatting and speaking with several different Verizon associates. They ALL told me that it would need to be handled by Samsung, confirming what I had read about the issue here and elsewhere.  Further, when I called Samsung, he confirmed that they showed it as still under warranty, just as I had been told by the Verizon people.  In the future, kindly know what you're talking about before you respond.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

First of all, Total Mobile Protection does not just extend the manufacturers warranty for a year. It covers items not covered by the warranty.

If Verizon was going to charge you for that scratch when returning for a warranty replacement, it is very likely that Samsung would have done the same. With this being the case, Total Mobile Protection should provide a replacement after you pay the deductible since the phone is also "damaged" along with that line across the screen.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for your input.  Again, as I wrote above:  I was told by multiple Verizon associates that there was an extension (doubling) of the manufacturer's warranty, and was told by a rep at Samsung that it was in fact still under factory warranty (and it's been more than a year).  Now I was given misinformation, probably unintentional, yesterday, so clearly Verizon reps don't always know what they are talking about.  (I was told that Samsung would do the same type of exchange as Asurion, which they do not.) I agree that Verizon's plan does not explicitly state that it will be handled by the manufacturer, but as it was confirmed by Samsung that it was still under warranty it may be that Verizon just subs out the coverage to Samsung.  I have read more since my initial reply, as there are pages and pages of people reporting the same pink line in the same place on the same phones.  I agree with your assessment that either company is likely to use any scratch, no matter how minor it might seem to invalidate the warranty coverage for the pink line (this has already happened to many people), and once I've sent it in I'm at their mercy regarding how much I would owe them.  The pink line isn't worth a $199 deductible to me and the phone has not truly been damaged, this is clearly a known issue with the S7edge.  So, other than a possible visit to the Verizon store (where I have had people "override" what I'd been told by Verizon online), I will just keep the phone until it's paid off and move on from there.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader
    1. WHAT THIS SERVICE CONTRACT COVERS: If there is a defect (including pre-existing) in the material and/or workmanship of your individually owned wireless device (hereinafter the "Product"), and the Product has been subject only to normal use and service, Verizon Wireless agrees to replace the Product at no charge, as long as you return it in accordance with the terms of this Service Contract. The replacement device you receive may be a new or reconditioned device of equal or comparable value to the Product. Non-original manufacturer's parts may be used in reconditioned devices. All Products replaced by Verizon Wireless shall become the property of Verizon Wireless. THIS SERVICE CONTRACT COVERS THE WIRELESS DEVICE ONLY AND NOT ITS ACCESSORIES OR REMOVABLE BATTERY, INCLUDING THOSE CONTAINED WITHIN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGE.

1. WHAT THIS SERVICE CONTRACT DOES NOT COVER:
    1. Defects or damage resulting from use of the Product in other than its normal and customary manner;
    2. Defects or damage from misuse, accident or neglect;
    3. Defects or damage from improper operation, maintenance, installation, adjustment or any alteration or modification of any kind;
    4. Products disassembled or repaired in such a manner as to adversely affect performance or prevent adequate inspection and testing to verify any claim;
    5. Products with labels removed or illegible serial numbers;
    6. Defects or damage due to spills of or immersion in food or liquid;
    7. Scratches on all plastic surfaces and externally exposed parts resulting from normal use;
    8. Damage resulting from normal wear and tear; and/or
    9. Defects or damage covered by the original equipment manufacturer's warranty.

Equipment Protection Terms Conditions | Verizon Wireless

Nobody is here to troll. I know EXACTLY what I am talking about. [Removed]

content edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes