Does Total Mobile Protection cover water damage?

jmontoto

Descriptions, video promos and bullet point advertising for Total Device Protection suggest that water damage IS covered, but verbiage in the policy seems to suggest otherwise? Whats the scoop?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Does total device protection cover water damage?

deloused

Yes, water damage is covered by the insurance provisions of total equipment coverage, not the warranty provision part.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

deloused

Yes, water damage is covered by the insurance provisions of total equipment coverage, not the warranty provision part.

View solution in original post

Depends upon circumstances, hope wet it got, did you have protection plan, etc.  It could be a judgement call.

0 Likes

Salisbury

Hi jmontoto, that's a very good question. I received the actual policy in the mail last week and the way it's written it seems it may not, it is difficult to determine if it is?

What is most disturbing in the policy is that they don't have to replace the exact iPhone 6s Plus 128GB that I have, but can replace it with a comparable device.

I took the policy thinking they do. There's a $200 deductible which is fine, and what I consider a fine print deductible where they can just go ahead and replace this iPhone 128 GB with a 16 GB which is another $200 difference there, they can even replace with whatever they want, could be something worth far less. So $200 deductible, a lower grade iPhone another $200, the cost of the policy @ $11 per month for a year $132, totals about $532. At that I'll just take the risk and buy a iPhone in the event of a loss.

Not a good deal so I plan on cancelling the policy, and you'd think Verizon would have a little more integrity when teaming up with Asurion.

If you had a brand new Corvette would you insure it as a Honda Civic? Of course not.

0 Likes

kaebfly
Leader

I think the option they have for replacing your device with a different one is more along the lines of say if they don't have the color you have it may be replaced with a different color or if your device is no longer available and they can't replace it with the same thing in any capacity then they may give you a "comparable" device. Could mean a different brand but it's also possible that if the specific one you have is no longer available you may get a newer model (example...if iPhone 6 could no longer be provided but they have iPhone 6s then that would be a comparable device). If for some reason the brand no longer exists at all then it would become an issue where you would get a replacement of a different brand altogether. That's the way I always understood it. If I'm not mistaken at one point when my mom still bothered to pay for Asurion insurance with her iPhone 4 they ended up replacing it with an iPhone 4s because they no longer had the 4. Perhaps she just got lucky on that one although she never dealt with paying for Asurion again after realizing she had wasted more money paying for it for years than she benefited with that one claim.

I don't recommend Asurion plans anyway but that's a personal thing. For iPhones if you really want the peace of mind of coverage I'd recommend AppleCare+ unless you are prone to losing devices. It doesn't cover that but it does cover damages along with extending the manufacturer warranty with a cheaper deductible. But again that's a preference thing and not something everyone would rather do.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jmomtoto,  all of the information given to you has been stellar. I would just like to add in the number to Asurion to get more clarity directly form the company that processed our insurance claims. Their number is 888-881-2622. As stated, water damage is covered.

AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Salisbury

Hi kaebfly, after reading the policy I'm not gonna be a player with that type of insurance, they cannot guarantee that in the event of a total loss, even after deducible is paid, that the iPhone 6s Plus 128GB would be replaced with an equivalent based on the $949 retail value and specs, during the insurance period. 

I think you might find this interesting, where you've mentioned Apple Care+ which extends the initial 1 year warranty by a year, for $100. A lot of credit cards will automatically extend that warranty if the iPhone was purchased using the credit card at no charge.

Another is some credit cards will provide free insurance for the iPhone provided you use the card to pay your monthly Verizon bill. Of course they'll likely have options as well on an equivalent device, but it's free. This link is an example.

I have no problem paying $11 per month or whatever they need to charge it is what it is. But I'd expect something better than what the Verizon - Asurion partnership is offering.

Cellular Telephone Protection - Wells Fargo

0 Likes

kaebfly
Leader

I'm actually well aware that some credit cards will offer additional coverage but the majority of people today will be purchasing their devices via the Device Payment Plan, in which case that coverage isn't an option. But absolutely it is an option for those that opt to pay their device in full on their CC. I personally don't get insurance on my devices anyway because I prefer to self insure. Instead of paying that money to Verizon or another company I can deposit that money monthly into a savings account. If I don't have an issue where I need to get my device repaired or replaced before upgrading again then I haven't lost anything. I continue the process and if anything happens I have more than enough to purchase a new device or pay to get it repaired. I have only had to replace a device once about 4 years ago after my iPhone was damaged in a car accident. In that case my auto insurance actually covered it so again, I never had to touch my self insurance money. Otherwise my phones tend to be in excellent condition by the time I'm ready to upgrade...so then I resell it and use that money to offset the full retail price of my new device. I don't miss 2 year contracts and not interested in device payment plans...nor do I like carrying a balance on my credit cards so even though I'll use a CC to purchase just for the rewards I receive I always pay the balance off immediately. That's just what works for me lol

0 Likes