Highlighted

Make a reply to a post identify the post number to which it is referring

Novice

Let's say, for example, that a discussion topic has 45 posts, and I decide to reply to post 5, written by John, which is now buried several pages behind the latest post.  After clicking the "reply" link for John's post 5, a blank box pops up and gives me the space to write my reply.  This reply will then be numbered as post 46 and placed in sequence behind post 45.  It will be tagged with my ID, the date and time it was submitted, and identified as being "in response to" John (no post number identified).  A person reading my post carefully will understand from the tag that it is not necessarily a followup comment to post 45 or even the original topic of the discussion, but rather to something said by John at some point in the discussion.  But the question will remain in their mind: Which one of John's comments is being referenced?

If John has been an active participant in the discussion, John might be responsible for posts 5, 10, 17, and 24.  So just tagging my reply as being "in response" to John does not make it clear which of these posts I am referring to.  Yes, the "in response to" tag is a hyperlink that can be clicked.  And clicking that link will take you right to the post in question, but a newbie will not know that.  You can get by in these forums for quite sometime without knowing that (as did I).

I think the relationships of the posts to one another would be much clearer if the "in response to" identified a post number, not a person.  In this example, it would say that post 46 is in response to "post 6," not "John."  This would make it abundantly clear to both the newbie and experienced participant exactly which comment post 46 is replying to.  It will likewise make it look more natural when I make a followup comment to my own post.  If, for example, I wanted to clarify something I wrote in post 46, and we are now on post 52, the tag will read that my clarification is in response to post 46, not myself.  Right now, post 52 would be tagged as me replying to myself, which looks kind of awkward.

I don't know how easy or difficult this change would be, but I think it would make the discussions much easier to follow for all participants.  Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

Tags (2)
Highlighted

Re: Make a reply to a post identify the post number to which it is referring

Sr. Leader

Outstanding idea.  A lot of us have been calling for a forum reform for a while.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

The "in response to xyzuser" is a hyperlink to the specific post the person is replying to. You have requested something that is already existing.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

Expert

You can also quote the post if you want to be absolutely clear which post you are referring to.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

Novice

How do I stop these emails?

Thanks!

Keith Eastep

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Using the desktop version of the forum, go to the top of the page and use the drop-down next to your user name and click Preferences.  Change your e-mail preferences to your liking, then click Save at the bottom of the screen.

Also look to the upper right of this thread while it's open and see if you're Following the thread; if so, click that Following button and uncheck E-mail Watches in the pop-up, then click Done.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Too bad that Sticky Post idea never stuck.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

I tried changing the preferences on my iPhone. I don't have a working computer. Navigation here is horrible on mobile. How do i get to the full site?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

The [Suggestions for this site] is what i want to stop. It was not on the preference list.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

You'll need to follow the above instructions about the Following button on the thread, and that needs to be done from the desktop version of the site.  You should be able to switch before logging into the site via your browser settings.

0 Likes