Highlighted

Re: Make a reply to a post identify the post number to which it is referring

Sr. Leader

You can change that by either changing the "following" option or the "Hide New Activity" options highlighted or change the connections stream preferences.  However, from the mobile site, I'm not sure how you'd do this. 

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Highlighted

Novice

I don't see all that. I'll try in my Puffin browser. It would help if Ann and Snn5 would stop chit chattin' so much. I get an email for each comment. LOL

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

This is a reply to one of your previous two posts.  But is it post 2 or 3?  Clicking the "in response to" hyperlink refreshes the page with post 2 at the top, but both posts are displayed.  The experienced user will know which one is being referenced, but the casual user or newbie probably won't.  In all likelihood, they probably won't even know that "in response to" is, in fact, a hyperlink; you would have to highlight it to see this.

If, however, that detail read "in response to Post 2," then there is no mistaking what is being referenced.  You don't have to guess which of the two posts that pops up is the one meant.  And furthermore, you don't even have to know that it a hyperlink.  I think this is would be an improvement, even though (as you have said), it is possible to see what is being referenced under the current set up. 

0 Likes

Novice

Ann154 wrote:

You can also quote the post if you want to be absolutely clear which post you are referring to.

True dat.  Quoting the post being referenced makes for greater clarity when it is short and sweet like yours here.  When the post is much bigger, however, I find quoting it to be cumbersome.  Quoting my original post for this discussion, for example, would be kind of awkward.  I would prefer seeing the response hyperlink read "in response to Original Post" or "in response to Post 0." (At present, the original post has no number, so I just imagined it could be thought of as the zero-post since it is the thread that initiates the discussion).

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I don't know that either of us has replied to the other in this thread.  I was "Chit-Chattin'" with you.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Snn5 wrote:

Outstanding idea.  A lot of us have been calling for a forum reform for a while.

Thanks for the kudos.  I think my original suggestion takes on even greater relevance in the light of this current discussion, which has for the most part digressed onto Ledsteplin's query about how to disable the setting that sends discussion updates to our emails.  An important subject to be sure, but not really related to the original post.

I wish there were some way to give Ledsteplin's train of thought it's own separate existence outside of the original discussion, but I know that would be difficult. And that is what brings me back to my original post.  In lieu of breaking off a new train of though into its own separate discussion topic, labeling replies to the original post as "in response to original post" would help people to clearly differentiate comments that stay on point from those which deviate, even if they are helpful in an unrelated way.

Highlighted

Novice

I didn't mean to post in the wrong place. This forum is extremely difficult to navigate on mobile. I tried a new thread, but I got a message that said I had no permissions. So I replied to the email I received.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

mrmeach wrote:

... When the post is much bigger, however, I find quoting it to be cumbersome.  Quoting my original post for this discussion, for example, would be kind of awkward.    You don't need to leave the whole post, and you can respond inline as I have done here.

You can edit the quote to leave only the relevant part(s) - or reply to the quote in bold - there are alternative ways.

As to your suggestion of "In response to Post 2" - that would necessitate paging back through the pages to view the relevant post.  I think quoting and snipping is more efficient and makes it absolutely clear what you are referencing.  Just my 2 cents.

Highlighted

Novice

I'm actually glad you posted in the "wrong" place.  It helped me to illustrate the point I am trying to make.