Highlighted

How do you navigate these forums?

I wanted to read the FAQ and browse the layout of these forums, but i see no structure.

That is, the hierarchy seems hidden and I see no way to look at it besides a randomized collection.

I have never seen a forum laid out in this way.

Usually there is a hierarchical structure:

Now i have done more searching and found a few posts about the lack of hierarchy.

I suppose it was partly an attempt to avoid the old problem of disorganization due to posts being made in the wrong forums.

Well, I guess it's similar to Microsoft's decision that people were too stupid to create their own folders and so introduced "My Documents", assuming that "ignorant masses" could not ever understand how to create a folder structure. They were successful.

Ah, well.

It's a good void into which I can vent..

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: How do you navigate these forums?

Sr. Leader

LOL.  since you have the ball rolling....

THe major sections can be viewed from the home screen.

Android, Apple, Windows, non smartphones and other devices, my Verizon (aka account related), and general Verizon questions.  New section for accessories. 

You can look around till you feel like you have a good feel for where othe have posted similar questions if that makes you more comfortable.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Welcome to the jungle....

I prefer the ATT format myself, but it is what it is.

THe search bars for the forum or Verizon in general may come in handy.  Each forum has diffent rules, you may have read already.  Feel free to ask questions or chime in on discussions that interest you.

I Use the 'Browse' content most often, rather than going to 'Home' and choosing a sub-forum.

Most of the posts are uproar over unlimited data increase these days.

Highlighted

Expert

I will have to disagree with you about the AT&T forum. The mobile site there is a mess compared here last I looked at it. I haven't had much opportunity to visit that site on a PC lately.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Highlighted

Thanks - I definitely have become familiar with the search bar.

When i clicked on "Browse" content i thought i'd see the structure.

I was looking for the proper place to post a question about login to the forums.

Tags & searching do help in finding information, but are little help in knowing right off where to post a question.

I have found two potential places to post the question, but only by assuming from category results of others' posts.

This thread is a good example.

I have no idea if this is a good place (as opposed to "the place") to even have posted this.

Your last line is a pretty good indicator.

Forums are normally are tree-like in visible structure.

This is like climbing a tree with a blindfold, so you navigate by the tweets

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

LOL.  since you have the ball rolling....

THe major sections can be viewed from the home screen.

Android, Apple, Windows, non smartphones and other devices, my Verizon (aka account related), and general Verizon questions.  New section for accessories. 

You can look around till you feel like you have a good feel for where othe have posted similar questions if that makes you more comfortable.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I Have been on Verizon forums for about 11 months??  As a returning customer.  I have been on the ATT forum for almost 2 years, still post regularly.   I find the forum easy to use and am most often posting from iPad.   That may be different from desktop.  ATT just added the ability to use the "classic" content view, which has been unavailable since before my day.

I will take lithium over jive any day....but different strokes as they say.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Don't get me started lol especially with AT&T forums.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

For the newb, I will share that you are posting from the warm and beautiful state of Hawaii and while we imagine you sipping tropical drinks while the ocean breezes waft through gauze curtains lit by the light of the computer screen....

Totally jealous. 

As for the forums, I find navigating easier on ATT.  But I am a blond if that matters.  lol.

Highlighted

Yeah, I have 3-4 hours in the past 2-3 days looking around (most of that today), and that is the problem...

I didn't intend to become part of community, or have a customer experience ...

Specifically, when i start looking at the major sections, there is no hierarchy to follow and instead i have a list of places. I can browse, page by page, with NO total page number listed, and not returning to the top of the page once i do click for the next page...

I can choose recent topics, but instead i have searched by tags and then ordered by date looking to see if an answer to my question is already been given somewhat recently.

It seems this is really set up in the manner of a social networking site and not meant to be efficient.

Hardware specific sections are fine, as each phone is unique and no need to put them under a phone parent directory, as everyone knows what they are

It's not that I can't find the area i want, i just should not have to search or browse for it.

That is what a hierarchy layout is designed to avoid, and the only reason it exists, and always has been used, in any place humans want to properly organize information. Sure a database is great for viewing data by any bizarre filter or grouping , or no grouping at all, but humans are not computers

Thanks again .. i have been bookmarking some relevant places as i go just in case i later want to check them out, but again, i wouldn't have to , if their was a visible structure  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Having dark hair is not helping!

You know, if i was sipping a tropical drink with a warm ocean breeze wafting, i wouldn't care at all about any forum hierarchy or structure.

...ahhh

THAT's the REAL problem