Highlighted

Blog Posts - Where?

John_Getzke
Leader

Hello,

I am interested in doing a few Blog posts now that I see this forum has the ability to post them.  However, I have noticed that Blogs are not allowed in all areas of the forum.  They seem to be allowed in the Suggestions for this Community area and I am curious where else they are allowed.

Could someone let me know which areas are enabled for Blog posts so that I can make sure any posts I create are available to those who would be interested it?

1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Blog Posts - Where?

Not applicable

This is just a guess, but if you click on blog post from the create menu it will show the places blogs are allowed.

However seeing that you have extensive knowledge in the computer field possibly the forum administrator will set you up with the ability to create and maintain the blog.

It would be a great feature service for you to provide. I wish you the best of luck.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

This is just a guess, but if you click on blog post from the create menu it will show the places blogs are allowed.

However seeing that you have extensive knowledge in the computer field possibly the forum administrator will set you up with the ability to create and maintain the blog.

It would be a great feature service for you to provide. I wish you the best of luck.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Leader

That's where I tried looking first.  All of my top choices for a blog post are greyed out in the search results.  I'd prefer to post something in the Verizon Jetpack, Broadband/Netbook or Additional Devices areas since that is where my expertise lies.  In fact when I browse all the blog locations, the only one I can select is Suggestions for this Community. 

Bummer. If this is true then anything I post will have to be linked back to the areas I participate in.  Not the end of the world but seems like there should be a better way to do it.

I'll try contacting the forum admins here to see if they can enable me to do that or not.

0 Likes

John,

I think you have to be following the places first to be able to blog them.  When I click show more places, it has all the locations of the community but they are all grayed out.  From what I've read, you must be following them first.  I may be wrong though.

John_Getzke
Leader

Tried that, still greyed out for the areas I want to post in.  The only one that is available is the Suggestions.

I think Blog posting may be a reserved feature, possibly for admin only or higher ranking forum members.  Only a bronze poster here so maybe I'm not trusted enough yet?

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Elector is probably correct on the restricting the type of posts in the various spaces of the community. I would guess this is done to funnel the users to choose the type of post that it mostly likely to get replies from the community members and possibly the VZW reps.

What are you trying to accomplish by choosing the blog format versus a discussion or document? What are the advantages of one type over the other?  If you want to engage in a conversation with the VZW reps here, they won't ever see or respond to a blog post or a document. They only see the discussions marked as unanswered questions. As for the rest of the community members, I'm not sure how easily one can set up their ability to follow a blog post let alone find them on the community. When looking at the main community home page, steam shows if a new was created, but I don't think it floats the blog to the top of the list when a new comment is added. I have also noticed when I comment on blog posts in the Suggestions space that the comment has to be approved by the Moderators before it is visible.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

John Getzke wrote:

Tried that, still greyed out for the areas I want to post in.  The only one that is available is the Suggestions.

I think Blog posting may be a reserved feature, possibly for admin only or higher ranking forum members.  Only a bronze poster here so maybe I'm not trusted enough yet?

I don't even have the ability to create a blog post in anywhere but the Suggestions space. I don't even understand why one would choose a blog post in the Suggestions space either.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

John_Getzke
Leader

The blog format seemed more appropriate for the kind of posting I wanted to create about data usage, overages and other various things that are repeatedly asked in those spaces.  Rather than retyping the same info over and over and over and over I could simply link to a blog post with all the details.  I would like to post guides on how to detect your data usage, explain the billing system, performing site surveys and all that jazz.

For this kind of content feedback and responses from VZW is not necessary.  Interactions with the mods and users is fine how it is.  We do the learning from the normal discussions and post the solutions in the blog.

Blogging also allows or suggests that the blogger has the ability to moderate the comments.  A discussion is not necessarily the best format for the subjects I wish to post on.  I want to keep the posts clean and to the point without flooding it with misc. comments. 

I wouldn't want to post to the suggestions area unless that was the only place I was allowed to do so.  However, it seems that is how this forum is setup at the moment, perhaps the VZW mods will remove it from this area too.

Ann154
Expert

What about trying out the document option? You can make it visible to public, but it would be listed under your personal profile. You would have control over the edits to the document and who can or can't comment on it. Plus you can link to it as part of a reply in a discussion.

0 Likes

John_Getzke
Leader

I've considered that option too.  I'll have to see what it ends up looking like and evaluate my options when its done.

0 Likes