"USB connected" when not connected
missmwilliamson

My phone keeps saying it is connected to the USB  - it has the icon in the top left of the screen, and then keeps popping up to the window with the button to "Connect USB storage." My phone is NOT connected to anything. I have tried turning the phone completely off and back on, but it is still there.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: "USB connected" when not connected
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

So the phone is not connected in any way to a USB cable when this happens?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
missmwilliamson

Nope. And for the past couple weeks, the only thing I have plugged it into is a wall or car charger.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could run the phone in safe mode and see if it occurs in that mode.  If it doesn't then it could mean an application conflict.

Otherwise it maybe a bad USB port?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
missmwilliamson

How do I turn on safe mode?

0 Likes
ddgts

I'm having the same problem, plus if I turn the phone off it will not reboot unless connected via USB. Got to be some recent issue with updates???

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ddgts. I know the importance of gaining reliable performance from your handset! Running the handset in safe mode is a great recommendation. This will help determine if third party apps may be causing the issue. http://bit.ly/uaN4PO

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
ohlauren

Mine's doing that too. Also doesn't connect when I do plug it in to the computer. (Charges, but neither the computer nor the phone recognizes the other, and not specific to the computer or the cable!)

And I did a factory reset, so I know it's not any applications' fault. >.<

0 Likes
ddgts

After playing around with my phone I have been able to re-create the problem and fix it several times. Does not require "safe mode" or other special action.

First of all, reboot your phone. After restart go to applications>settings>USB settings..be sure the option "Ask each time" is selected. Then connect the USB cable to your phone and computer, select on your phone the "mass storage" connection and wait for your computer to recognize. You phone should then give you a "connect" option with some various warnings about what will/won't happen. Once you are linked up, your phone will display the "disconnect" option...that's what caused the problem to begin with... IF YOU DO NOT SELECT that function your phone will keep the usb port open... now you must wait a bit for the disconnect operation to complete... on my system neither the phone nor the computer will display when its safe to unhook the cables.

Trust this will work for everyone.. if not, let me know and I'll try to help.

0 Likes
ddgts

I have solved the problem with my phone and have posted the fix on the

message thread. I believe the "ask each time" setting on the USB connection

options will solve your computer connection, if not try going to "computer"

to see your connections and have your system refresh several times. good

luck

0 Likes