gmail
Cutiepatooties

i thought gmail was instantaneous? i see on my computer i have mail. my phone doesnt show it. i have to refresh to get my new mail. how can i change this? i feel like this is a new thing so i'm not sure if i reset something. please help.

0 Likes
Re: gmail
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cutiepatooties wrote:

i thought gmail was instantaneous? i see on my computer i have mail. my phone doesnt show it. i have to refresh to get my new mail. how can i change this? i feel like this is a new thing so i'm not sure if i reset something. please help.

Have you opened the gmail app and verified in the settings that you have turned on the notifications?

Gmail app > Menu button > settings > scroll down to Notification settings

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: gmail
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3

Push email does get pushed to your phone immediately, but there may be delays based on your signal and delays with the notification on the phone (which can take several seconds once your phone has the reception needed).  What you may have noticed was a message as it arrived on your computer, then there may have been a delay in the time your phone was going to notify you of this.  There is no way to change this setting as push email is as close to instantaneous as you're going to get, but this seems to be a common issue with everyone using the Gmail app regardless of the phone.  But this isn't really a major issue unless your livelihood (your means of surviving such as your job) requires that you receive your email instantly.  Some people are complaining about delays upwards to several minutes (15 or more) with other phones.

I just tested this, and my phone had about a 20 second delay in notifying me of a message once I sent it.  Part of that time could have been the actual sending of the message from one account to another, but a 20 second delay isn't all that bad.  Actually, it was a little less than 20 seconds, like 18 or 19 seconds, but anyway.

0 Likes