Won't update or reset, what can I do?
WillT

So for the past week or so I've been getting the notification that there is a software update to install on my Nexus.  Whenever I attempt to install it the phone reboots but will not go past the initial "Google" on the screen.  It just sits there frozen on the "Google" screen.  I can not turn it off, I can't use it at all.  I have to take the battery out  and when I do so it reboots as normal and then begins telling me of the  same update again.  I read about similar issues and attempted to reset  the phone and now its doing the exact same thing when I try to reset it.   It goes to the "Google" screen and thats it, just freezes. What can I  do here?  I'm at a loss.

0 Likes
Re: Won't update or reset, what can I do?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there WillT! I certainly want for you to get your software update. Can you share some details with me? Are you experiencing any data connection issues recently? What zip code are you in? Have there been any fundamental changes to the current operating system on your Nexus? What’s the longest period of time that your phone was allowed to sit to attempt the software update? Have you performed a factory reset on the phone since this started?

Dion M.
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
inkballinc

I am having a similar issue.  I have let the update try, frozen on the google screen for 4 hours = multiple times! the first go drained my battery, with still no update.  I have not factory reset yet.  I would rather not get a refurb if I can avoid it.  Samsung has no idea why this is happening.  Help!

0 Likes
TURNandBURN13

Hi Dion,

I'm having similar issues as well.  What more details do you want?  My phone tells me to install, when I begin install it requires reboot, then a white google logo on a black screen comes on and it just STAYS THERE!  I've left it there for a couple of hours.  The phone cannot be reset, only removing the battery will allow it to hard reset.

My phone is not unlocked or rooted.  Nothing fancy or out of the ordinary is done to the phone. I haven't tried the factory reset yet.  Will I lose all my information if I do this?  I'm hesitant to do this cause I've heard from other posters it doesn't work.  If factory reset requires the loss of all my apps, pictures, contacts, etc.  I would rather not do that. 

Thanks

0 Likes
NittanyJ

I am having the same issue. I have been living with it for quite some time to see if someone was going to post an actual solution.  has anyone?  I've let me phone sit 12+hours plugged into the wall for power, with a good signal in multiple locations.  No luck.  As far as I have read, the only solution is to refurb the phone.  That sucks.  Are thare any alternatives?  Does this work?  Thanks,

Jason

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NittanyJ, that’s no fun! I certainly want for you to get your software update and I’m here to help!

Are you still unable to update your phone? If so, I have a few steps you can take to get the software update.

Option 1 - Go into Menu > Settings > Apps > All > Google Services Framework. Clear data and force-stop the app. Then go into Menu > Settings > About Phone > System Updates > Check Now.

Option 2 - Try it with a Wi-Fi connection.
If you are still unable to pull the update try performing the hard reset http://bit.ly/swCYZF and retry.

Please let me know if you’re still unable to pull the update after the steps above. We may need to have the phone replaced.

John B
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes