Why certified like new phones?
billyhugh

I want to know why I have to get a certified like new phone as a swap for my fascinate.  My phone is approx. 5 months old, obviously not working correctly and now I have to get a used phone.  It shouldn't be my problem if an inferior product was made.  I have been trying to get a Charge but am being told that there are none in stock and there is no way of knowing when more are coming in.  So I am supposed to keep paying for service on a phone that doesn't get calls or texts.  Why can't I go to a Verizon store and get a New in box Charge?  I would appreciate an answer from a Verizon employee if possible.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why certified like new phones?
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

billyhugh wrote:

I want to know why I have to get a certified like new phone as a swap for my fascinate.  My phone is approx. 5 months old, obviously not working correctly and now I have to get a used phone.  It shouldn't be my problem if an inferior product was made.  I have been trying to get a Charge but am being told that there are none in stock and there is no way of knowing when more are coming in.  So I am supposed to keep paying for service on a phone that doesn't get calls or texts.  Why can't I go to a Verizon store and get a New in box Charge?  I would appreciate an answer from a Verizon employee if possible.

billyhugh,

I understand your concerns with receiving a Certified Like-New Replacement!  I would like to ease some of your concerns regarding the replacement options.

The phone manufacturers warranty offers a free replacement for devices with manufacturer defects.  This eliminates the process and hassle of having to send your defective device to the manufacturer, be without a working phone and waiting 4-8 weeks for your same phone to be repaired and returned to you.  These devices are rigorously tested and held to strict cosmetic standards to qualify to be a Certified Like-New Replacement device.  There are over 100 checkpoints to ensure you're receiving a device of the highest quality.

I hope I have explained the replacement policy in a better light, and hopefully have eased some concerns you may have regarding this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
geomimi

Billy,

Think about it, there are hundreds of refurbs sitting around in the warehouse that they could use to replace our phones! Why would they send us a new one? There gonna tell you that your phone is used why would you want a new one!

I think Verizon should give us the option of any phone we want! That would be the right thing to do!

0 Likes
HarleyDrifter
Contributor - Level 1

Because there is a gigantic pile of returned phones out back that THEY need to get rid of... suckers.  (-:

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

billyhugh wrote:

billyhugh,

I understand your concerns with receiving a Certified Like-New Replacement!  I would like to ease some of your concerns regarding the replacement options.

The phone manufacturers warranty offers a free replacement for devices with manufacturer defects.  This eliminates the process and hassle of having to send your defective device to the manufacturer, be without a working phone and waiting 4-8 weeks for your same phone to be repaired and returned to you.  These devices are rigorously tested and held to strict cosmetic standards to qualify to be a Certified Like-New Replacement device.  There are over 100 checkpoints to ensure you're receiving a device of the highest quality.

I hope I have explained the replacement policy in a better light, and hopefully have eased some concerns you may have regarding this.

0 Likes
dla1027

I don't think this answers it. I am going through this right now and i think it's horrible that current customers are receiving these phones as replacements for SMARTPHONES. I spent $189 on my phone in May and it randomly stopped working after 7 months. I take great care of my phone, never drop it, use a case and screen protector and now my phone won't hold power and I am getting a CERTIFIED LIKE NEW "phone". With no battery, no SIM card for global, and no back.

I am questioning my continued loyalty to Verizon, especially after being deceived by the person at the store who said my replacement phone would be shipped Fedex 2 day shipping, when really it is US mail economy shipping. Oh, and my phone could have been swapped out in store for a new one as my phone is still carried in store. I am highly, highly dissatisfied with the Verizon and the staff at the verizon store on Morse Crossing in Columbus Ohio.

0 Likes
jennm926

While I do believe that refurbished equipment is tested to make sure it's fixed, I was given one of the "like new" replacement phones to replace my badly-behaving Fascinate. It was, of course, another Fascinate, and I think it's actually WORSE than the one I returned to Verizon.

In addition to the random switching into safe mode, the poor signal strenghth and the virtual absence of a strong 3G signal, THIS phone randomly reboots itself about three times a day, even when it's just sitting on my desk, not being used. AND (and this is my favorite part!) - the camera flash doesn't work.

Makes me wonder how "rigorously" my phone was tested - or if the camera was a part of the 100 points they inspect. I'd call back and complain again, but the best they'll do is send me another Fascinate, and I'm afraid of what I'll end up with!!

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

The Verizon employee gave you a positive sounding answer and if it made you feel good STOP READING NOW.

Ok so you kept reading so I will give information that is not meant to be anything more than simply the truth:

Returned phones are somebody elses problem and they can range from a perfectly good phone with an ignorant owner to a phone with corrupted software, defective hardware and the hardest to diagnose problem: intermittent problems. Phones can also act up based on enviromental problems and localized problems with interference or any combination of the above. In other words no matter how well meaning the phone refurbishing program may be, it will focus mainly on the cosmetic so that you will approve the appearance and little time will be spent on troubleshooting a phone, that requires an actual technician and they get paid more for their time.

The above is not meant to be negative, just reality. Verizon is not going to spend any significant amount of time (money) on returned phones, so defective phones just simply get recycled and some people may get lucky and receive one that originally there was never anything wrong with it... there is that statistical chance.

0 Likes
bcblaylo
I dont see how this answer resolves anything. I bought my samsung fascinate over a year ago and had the same issues you listed. How about Verizon stops selling defective products with known issues.
0 Likes
stonent
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I sent in my Eris for replacement, the one that I got back was physically better condition.

In the old days, you'd send your phone off for repair and get it back, now you just get a repared phone back except it looks brand new when you get it.

It doesn't matter what company you use, VZW, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, Best Buy, etc you will get the SAME results. Replaced with a refurbished phone.

0 Likes
sevensixerr

I think its bs too. When I bought my note 3 (full price to keep my unlimited data that they wanna get rid of) I bought a brand new phone in the box. I didn't buy a certified pre owned phone.

0 Likes