Why are text messages sent to another phone shown as coming from <num>@vtext.com?
JasDempsey

I don't know why this is happening, but I'd really like it to stop.  It turns the thread into an MMS thread causing subsequent replies to always be sent via MMS, not SMS.

Details:

I have two phones, a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon Wireless and a LG Nexus 5 on T-Mobile.  The Nexus 5 phone number was recently (a couple months ago) ported from VZW to T-Mobile.

This only seems to happen with the one number on Verizon, not all messages sent from Verizon.

When the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon sends a text message to the Nexus 5, it appears to have come from <number>@vtext.com.

In an attempt to solve the problem I have:

1. deleted the thread associated with the Galaxy Nexus on the Nexus 5

2. deleted the contact associated with the number of the Galaxy Nexus on the Nexus 5

3. Cleared the cache for Messaging, Hangouts and People applications

4. Rebooted Nexus 5

5. Sent a text message from Nexus 5 to Galaxy Nexus

at this point, the thread appears to be an SMS thread with the top showing <number> (not <number>@vtext.com).

If I hit "back" to go to the list of threads and then select the thread, now it shows the thread as being from <number>@vtext.com and not <number>.

This leads me to believe there is something associated with this number cached somewhere on the Nexus 5, or alternatively, something is being sent back from Verizon with the acknowledgement of the SMS that says @vtext.com.

This is super frustrating as it switches the entire thread to an MMS thread (not SMS).  Any suggestions as to how to make this stop?

Is there something in verizon's provisioning system that still thinks this is a Verizon phone?

Is there some other hidden data in Android associating this phone number with @vtext.com?  How can I clear it?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Text messages sent to another phone show up as from <num>@vtext.com, not <num>
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JasDempsey,

That may have been the situation at one point, but technology has evolved and dialing a 1 before the area code when the phone is desined to onlly accept 10 digits, it may cause problems. Nonetheless, we need to get to the bottom of this and get this fixed for you. You mentioned the number was posted from us to a different carrier, first you'll have to call them to ensure the port was completed entirely and not partially. Though the phone may be workig without a problem aside from this, it's possible it may be not completely transferred to them. Secondly, please delete the contact information on both phones; then re-add and test again and do no add an email address to either contact card. Lastly, please accept my follow request, send me one and then a Direct Message so I can further assist you. Regarding your intial questions about MMS thread Vs. SMS thread; since it's a "text" message to an email address (@Vtext.com), your phone is designed to label it a media message not a simple text.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Text messages sent to another phone show up as from <num>@vtext.com, not <num>
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi JasDempsey,

Let's get this text message mystery fixed.  It appears that the message are showing up as a MMS message.  This why you are seeing the @vtext.com address at the end of the number. Have you tried placing a 1 in front of the number. Also, have you had this problem texting any other people from your Verizon phone? I am trying to get a better idea if it is an isolated issue.  Keep me posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JasDempsey

Sending an SMS to the phone number with a '1' in front of it doesn't change anything.  The phone recognizes that as the same number and puts it into the same conversation thread as <number>@vtext.com.

I have not had this problem with any other verizon contacts, nor have I heard from any other contacts that they are having this problem with texts from the verizon phone.   However on a subsequent search, I have seen other threads on the internet (including community.verizonwireless.com) about other people who are having trouble with text messages appearing to come from <number>@vtext.com for a particular sender.  Example: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1045239#1045239

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JasDempsey,

That may have been the situation at one point, but technology has evolved and dialing a 1 before the area code when the phone is desined to onlly accept 10 digits, it may cause problems. Nonetheless, we need to get to the bottom of this and get this fixed for you. You mentioned the number was posted from us to a different carrier, first you'll have to call them to ensure the port was completed entirely and not partially. Though the phone may be workig without a problem aside from this, it's possible it may be not completely transferred to them. Secondly, please delete the contact information on both phones; then re-add and test again and do no add an email address to either contact card. Lastly, please accept my follow request, send me one and then a Direct Message so I can further assist you. Regarding your intial questions about MMS thread Vs. SMS thread; since it's a "text" message to an email address (@Vtext.com), your phone is designed to label it a media message not a simple text.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

and 

0 Likes