Why Does My Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean Randomly Reboot?
brglassman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus when they first came out last December. I loved my phone and I had very few problems with it. It was very dependable. Then Jelly Bean came along. Now my phone randomly reboots 1 - 4 times per day. I could live with it at first when it only happened while I was emailing or surfing the internet but now it is rebooting in the middle of phone calls. What is the problem and how can I fix it? I have not in any way modified my phone and everything is stock with all updates being Verizon OTA.

My Android version is 4.1.1. My build number is JRO03O. My Kernel version is 3.0.31-g396c4df android-build@vpbs1) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 16 18:08:06 PDT 2012. My Baseband version is I515.09 V.FF02 / I515.FG02.

0 Likes
Re: Why Does My Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean Randomly Reboot?
nlayla
Enthusiast - Level 3

Me too.  I've had the same issue after Jelly bean update.  I think it has made the device defective.  Fortunately, it is still under warranty. I am going to ask Verizon about replacing my phone because it is getting irritating.  I'd have my a video open and then it reboots.  Or, it just reboots even when not in use and it is inconvenient because I was about to make a call.  It hasn't rebooted on me while I'm on the phone yet!  But I want to prevent that from happening, so I will ask Verizon how they will remedy this.  We spend so much money on this phone alone and in addition to our monthly plan, they better find a solution for us. 

mrstms
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issues.  I have tried talking w/ Samsung and they route me back to VZW.  Ready to cancel contract early.  This is insane for a phone that is less than one year old.

brglassman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does anybody know whether the phone software creates or maintains some sort of log file that will tell you what was going on when the phone crashed? If there is, how do we find the file or files?

Maybe if VZW, Samsung and Google are going to ignore us we can diagnose the problem ourselves.

On the other hand, I love my phone but maybe my daughter is right and I should get an iPhone on another carrier. She never has a problem and she has gone through several iOS updates.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean OS and it has never rebooted on its own. I do know what that looks like since I also had the Thunderbolt with a similar situation last year before an update fixed it.

Have you tried factory resetting the phone and not letting the phone reinstall all your previously installed applications? Not all applications are optimized for JB and one of them might be causing the reboots.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
UpsetVerizonCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here, I hope Android 4.2 should get approved quicker

0 Likes
CGWaters
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm experiencing the same problem. Reboots are occurring daily -- sometimes multiple times per day.

Has anyone spoken with VZW tech support about this?

0 Likes
nlayla
Enthusiast - Level 3

i've spoken to a vw rep and he told me to do a factory setting but i've already done that numerous times. i truly think it is the jelly bean update that is causing these reboots. i've never had this problem before the jellybean update and i haven't installed any new apps after the jelly bean update. hopefully the newer update which is 4.2.2 will fix this bug, if not, i need to speak with vw again and/or samsung because of now this phone feels like a piece of crap. it reboots all the time. even when i'm about to pick up the phone and text someone, i'm in reboot mode. how irritating is that?! and it doesn't reboot quickly either, it lags and stalls before the screen fully appears. ugh!

0 Likes
mrstms
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon finally replaced my phone yesterday.  It's been less than 24 hours, but thus far there have been no reboots.

<Email signature removed for privacy per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
mrstms
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is useless to contact Samsung cause they are going to refer you back to VW.  I tried calling them several times.

<Email signature removed for privacy per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes