Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!
Chwith

OK, back on track. 

Dear Verizon,

I realize that you have never given a firm release date for the Galaxy Nexus. Therefore it cannot be said that the device is delayed. This is corporate doublespeak. There is enough leaked evidence to "confirm" that the Nexus SHOULD have been out for several weeks now and yet was not. This is a DELAY. We, the dedicated Android fans are waiting patiently. We do not want a phone laden with bloatware (kudos on geting some on the device that is supposed to be a "pure" android phone anyway and for blocking one of the core advertised features of the phone i.e. NFC) We do not want a phone with UI overlays or custom widgets that many of us will never use. In short, we want the Galaxy Nexus.

Your refusal to update the community concerning this device goes beyond poor service to your customers. Frankly it is a level of non caring that is inexcusable. All we ask is for an update. Are you running into issues in testing. Did the LTE issues this week push things back. These things we can understand. This closed mouth stance we cannot.

Sincerely,

a customer that you are losing. little by little.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
That's false. Without knowing if the code is ready. We are talking more than just the source code. We are talking about the RIL and drivers. Just because there are leaked pictures doesn't mean it's ready. Demo models are Already on 4.1(not 4.0.1 my GSM counterpart has) means it did some major changes in the code. As soon as we get these devices we will not be on 4.0.1 and we will have an immediate update. Verizon could be doing us a favor by not releasing the device without that update ready with the way people complain to Verizon with issues that may not pertain to them.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
They did discontinued the plan. We can't get the EMP plans anymore. I forgot which date it was but I remember wanting to get another line for my father who was visiting and I had an extra phone for him. Ended up just getting him a prepaid phone.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Pure Android phone wouldn't even have Google Services on the device. It would strictly be AOSP which has 0 Google services on it.
0 Likes
techjunkie64

Chwith wrote:

OK, back on track. 

... one of the core advertised features of the phone i.e. NFC) ...

To be fair here... The phone IS coming with NFC.  Google, Samsung, nor VZW ever mentioned Google Wallet as an advertized feature.  I watched the initial press conference live and one of the very first things I noticed was the complete lack of any mention of Google Wallet in the presentation.

I do not remember reading *any* official information from any of the 3 parties involved saying the Nexus would have Wallet.  Yes, it was all over the blogs, but not in any press releases or specs that I read.  Wallet is only one of the functiions that the NFC chipset supports, along with Android Beam and other uses that have yet to become mainstream (such as NFC door locks etc.)

0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that's fair, look at the big update with multiple bug fixes being pushed for the Bionic.  Didn't the Thunderbolt need almost immediate updates shorthly after launch as well?  The Razr having LTE sim authorization problems, etc.

Maybe they're just sick of scrambling to fix pieces of code with massive OTA updates so soon after launch and just want the GNex to launch more smoothly. 

0 Likes
techjunkie64

Tidbits, I think the tension/anger towards VZW is far more the *total* lack of communication on this issue than the delay.  If the delay, yes it IS a delay, is due to any of the factors you mention, VZW obviously knows about them and could communicate such information without giving any firm launch date that could get them into "trouble".

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
What if there is a NDA involved? What if there was a security flaw that Verizon found and due to the NDA Verizon has to keep it hush for Google to fix it especially if it affected the GSM version as well. There is so much involved in which people honestly don't know or care about. It's always easier to blame the closest person to get into contact with. Sure I would like to know more myself. Honestly we might be able to fix a lot of flaws in this country if people out this kind of attention they do over this phone.
0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:
Pure Android phone wouldn't even have Google Services on the device. It would strictly be AOSP which has 0 Google services on it.

Google Wallet isn't included with AOSP, yet many here decry the lack of support for it.  Nexus is a Google device, why would it NOT have Google services on it.

As for VZW services?  Some are necessary to provide functionality and network access, You do want your GNex to be able to access Verizon's LTE services, right?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
AOSP a pure Android software has 0 apps that is NOT part of Android and that includes all Google services. Look at Cyanogen mod which is completely based off AOSP and if you want Google services you have to download them. :smileyhappy:
He said pure Android not a Google experience device which are two different things. You can confirm that with Google or Cyanogen.
0 Likes