Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!
gnexus

21stNow wrote:

I see both sides of this, though I agree with gnexus more.  Google had a launch event similar to Apple's launch events.  During this delayed (due to Steve Jobs' death) announcement, Google said that the device would launch worldwide in November (vague, but we can deal with this).  Since VZW is the exclusive US retailer, in order for that statement to be accurate, it would have had to come out on VZW in November.  The phone hasn't launched as of December 7th, so customers are understandably frustrated now.

I'm not sure if there is another CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus out there.  Google probably could only work with VZW to make sure that the device would run well on the network.  With GSM carriers, there are similar networks worldwide where the Galaxy Nexus could be tested.

While I doubt that Google wants to sell millions of Galaxy Nexus phones, they obviously wanted to improve over what was done with the Nexus One.  However, I don't think that the Nexus line should be sold through carriers like other phones.  Actually, I don't think that carriers should sell any phones, but that's another topic.

gnexus, I'm just curious; why haven't you gotten the European model of the Galaxy Nexus?

A big selling point for me is the LTE and since AT&T's version likely won't be LTE, that leaves me with VZW.  I would gladly import it and pay the ~$800, but I like to keep my money stateside.  I will be paying full price because I absolutely hate the contract model.  I wish the US market would embrace what most the rest of the world has.  The big 4 are merely phone companies where I should be able to buy their service, not a phone.  T-Mobile tried that model for awhile and sadly didn't catch on.  

Good points and thank you for agreeing.  Seems a bit hard to find sensible people in this thread.  Likely most have been drinking Big Red for far too long and are oblivious to how the rest of the market works.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

gnexus wrote:

Good points and thank you for agreeing.  Seems a bit hard to find sensible people in this thread.  Likely most have been drinking Big Red for far too long and are oblivious to how the rest of the market works.

i'm not oblivious, rather realistic.

0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:
Why don't they put the sim cards in? It doesn't use a super fancy simple card that no other 4G verizon phone uses. It uses the same card as the Droid Razr. Seriously I truly believe it's the source they are working on and they have to do it right for the future of LTE devices being uniformed.

And you know that how?  I know that there are standard sized sim cards, and micro sim cards, so there is every possibility that the GNex uses a different one that the Razr, which is a MOTO phone not a Samsung.  In fact I have seen a video on CNET that identified the slot as a "micro-sim" card slot in a hands on with the Verizon version of the phone.  And even if it is the same card, Droid Life reported yesterday that many Razr users are reporting problems with "SIM Card authorization" Errors.

"Over the last couple of hours, we have received a number of reports (they are filling up the comments now too) from DROID RAZR owners who are experiencing some sort of micro SIM issue. In their notification bar, they are seeing a message that reads “SIM card authorization error” and “The SIM Card may not be authorized for LTE service. Please Power down the phone and contact Wireless Provider Customer Service.” After receiving these messages, the phone cannot no longer operate on Big Red’s 4G LTE network.

Verizon is apparently aware of the situation, but from what we can tell, may not know the cause of it. Some of our readers are being told that they simply need a new SIM card – would be unfortunate if every RAZR owner in the U.S. needed to order one though."

Would that make Verizon to rethink launching another 4GLTE device if there is an unknown issue with the sim cards?

0 Likes
gnexus

re4ee wrote:

Tidbits wrote:
My 2 cents. It isn't ready. It's the 4G radio and nothing else. Why are the demos running primarily off a mifi? The Android 4G devices have been having problems with network connectivity. They are writing source code for it and this will help manufacturers in the future if done right. It's not working right.

In order to access the 4GLTE network the phone requires a sim card, none of the demo devices had one.  Maybe whoever is supposed to be supplying those are having problems with them and Verizon will not release the phone until each and every one has that 4g sim card installed.  Maybe the big question for Google and Verizon to be asked is if they are having difficulty getting those sim cards.  What would be the point of having one of the fastest devices built but be constrained to a much slower network?

The one thing that kind of bugs me about these dicussions is posters strting off a speculative rant with "Clearly,"  Because there is no clarity.

Kids these days, didn't your parents teach you  "Patience is a virtue"?

I'm not speculating at all.  Google promised a device in November, Google provided the ICS source code in November, Samsung rubber stamped the phone in November.  Verizon,  you let the whole month of November come and go, gave us no information.  So is it out of left field to conclude that "clearly" Verizon is the hold up at this point?  Google/Samsung say go, Verizon says no.  That is a fact.  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
When Google and Samsung MADE the announcement the LTE version still didn't pass FCC requirements until late November. So it wasn't ready when they made the announcement. Why produce the phone if there is a chance where it may not pass and have to resort every device you made?
Now with the above. Changing just the sim slot after it has passed FCC requirements would require you to resubmit the device which means further delays. It will use the Micro Sim, and the Razr sim errors has NOTHING to do with the cards sorry. Simon technology isn't in its infancy. The difference between the two is how much plastic is used. Although they are nearly identical they'd still need to resubmit because there are changes to the device regardless of how small they are.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Have to love auto correct... Simon = Sim
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

gnexus wrote:

I'm not speculating at all.  Google promised a device in November, Google provided the ICS source code in November, Samsung rubber stamped the phone in November.  Verizon,  you let the whole month of November come and go, gave us no information.  So is it out of left field to conclude that "clearly" Verizon is the hold up at this point?  Google/Samsung say go, Verizon says no.  That is a fact.  

again.....sounds like a google issue. not sure why they would set a hard date for a device that THEY DON'T SELL.

0 Likes
techjunkie64

gnexus wrote:
 I wish the US market would embrace what most the rest of the world has.  The big 4 are merely phone companies where I should be able to buy their service, not a phone.  T-Mobile tried that model for awhile and sadly didn't catch on.  

Actually T-Mo still has the model.  Check out their "budget plans" for individual and familly style plans or their pre-pay plans  both are "bring your own phone to the party" at a substantial monthly savings.  You have several different plans varying from a couple hundred megs of data to 10GB of data.  (You are not cut-off at your "limit" or charged extra, but your data rates *will* be throttled... Actually the 200mb plans are not a terrible option for some people.. My GF hasn't gone over 200mb on her Bionic the past couple months.)  These plans start as low as $45 for 500 min, unlimited text, & the 200 mb data, or multi-line with 1000- min, 2GB shared high-speed data, unlimited text for $80,  That is far less than their plans where they are subsidizing the phone purchase up-front.  You can get unlimited everything on the pre-pay for about $50 a month.

Over a 2 year period you would save far more than the *retail cost* of the phone you purchase, actually bringing you out ahead by a couple hundred dollars per phone.  

There is no reason (other than lock-in) that the other US carriers can't embrace the same purchase model.

(I was pouring over their plans yesterday in the event that Verizon doesn't release the Nexus this weekend, or at very least give a firm release date & price that is reasonable.)

I'm just keeping my options open at the moment.  Unless this whole fiasco *is* due to Google or Samsung, I doubt that Verizon will soon get another crack at a Nexus "exclusive" release, so it might just be a good time to bite the bullet and get it over with.

I'd definitely rather stick with VZW for coverage in some of the "Fringe" areas that I travel to every few months, but I can deal with lower data speeds there if necessary.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

They're called the Value Plans at T-Mobile.  There's a slight (OK, major) difference in the Value Plan that you are referring to and the Even More Plus plan (no longer offered) that I think that gnexus was referring to.  The Value Plan still requires a two-year contract, while the EMP plan didn't.  The old way was far more sensible to me.  Having an ETF when there was no subsidy on the phone price should be illegal, in my opinion.

0 Likes
techjunkie64

21stNow wrote:

They're called the Value Plans at T-Mobile.  There's a slight (OK, major) difference in the Value Plan that you are referring to and the Even More Plus plan (no longer offered) that I think that gnexus was referring to.  The Value Plan still requires a two-year contract, while the EMP plan didn't.  The old way was far more sensible to me.  Having an ETF when there was no subsidy on the phone price should be illegal, in my opinion.

Didn't realize there was an ETF on the value plans... Yes, since they have no up-front costs, any ETF *should* be illegal, I agree.

For my own purposes, at the moment, however, the pre-pay is the best option, so the ETF is a non-issue.

I strongly agree, though, that every carrier *should* offer an option if you purchase your own phone.

0 Likes