Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!
Tidbits
Legend
My 2 cents. It isn't ready. It's the 4G radio and nothing else. Why are the demos running primarily off a mifi? The Android 4G devices have been having problems with network connectivity. They are writing source code for it and this will help manufacturers in the future if done right. It's not working right.
0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I see both sides of this, though I agree with gnexus more.  Google had a launch event similar to Apple's launch events.  During this delayed (due to Steve Jobs' death) announcement, Google said that the device would launch worldwide in November (vague, but we can deal with this).  Since VZW is the exclusive US retailer, in order for that statement to be accurate, it would have had to come out on VZW in November.  The phone hasn't launched as of December 7th, so customers are understandably frustrated now.

I'm not sure if there is another CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus out there.  Google probably could only work with VZW to make sure that the device would run well on the network.  With GSM carriers, there are similar networks worldwide where the Galaxy Nexus could be tested.

While I doubt that Google wants to sell millions of Galaxy Nexus phones, they obviously wanted to improve over what was done with the Nexus One.  However, I don't think that the Nexus line should be sold through carriers like other phones.  Actually, I don't think that carriers should sell any phones, but that's another topic.

gnexus, I'm just curious; why haven't you gotten the European model of the Galaxy Nexus?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Because he wants subsidization for his device. He could still get a tax write off either way for buying it :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
sethm
Another issue Google & Verizon now have is that Verizon blocking the "Wallet" feature. Was not a big feature with ICS ?
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

but it's only "late" per google's announcement.....so this should be taken up with google. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'm guessing that neither company really understood who they were dealing with. verizon likely didn't understand that the nexus is thought of to be bloat free and completely open......and google didn't understand that verizon restricts their devices....period.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
No it wasn't. If you watch the videos made by Google there is no mention of wallet. People ASSUMED because it had a NFC Google would include wallet. Nexus S is an example. Two versions and only 1 had it. FWIW Google can make wallet work with Isis but they choose not to. Just as much as carriers choose not to endorsed Google wallet for not supporting Isis.
0 Likes
re4ee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:
My 2 cents. It isn't ready. It's the 4G radio and nothing else. Why are the demos running primarily off a mifi? The Android 4G devices have been having problems with network connectivity. They are writing source code for it and this will help manufacturers in the future if done right. It's not working right.

In order to access the 4GLTE network the phone requires a sim card, none of the demo devices had one.  Maybe whoever is supposed to be supplying those are having problems with them and Verizon will not release the phone until each and every one has that 4g sim card installed.  Maybe the big question for Google and Verizon to be asked is if they are having difficulty getting those sim cards.  What would be the point of having one of the fastest devices built but be constrained to a much slower network?

The one thing that kind of bugs me about these dicussions is posters strting off a speculative rant with "Clearly,"  Because there is no clarity.

Kids these days, didn't your parents teach you  "Patience is a virtue"?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

re4ee wrote:

The one thing that kind of bugs me about these dicussions is posters strting off a speculative rant with "Clearly,"  Because there is no clarity.

Kids these days, didn't your parents teach you  "Patience is a virtue"?

In answer to the highlighted question, "CLEARLY they didn't!!!":smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Why don't they put the sim cards in? It doesn't use a super fancy simple card that no other 4G verizon phone uses. It uses the same card as the Droid Razr. Seriously I truly believe it's the source they are working on and they have to do it right for the future of LTE devices being uniformed.
0 Likes