Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

gnexus
Member

AZSALUKI wrote:

i think everyone is jumping to conclusions just a bit. verizon NEVER announces a launch until they know FOR SURE that they are ready to go. they are likely having issues that don't allow this device to pass their QC testing. they have never launched anything late ( that i recall?). the problem lies in all of the blogs, forums, and rumors. people take leaked info and speculation as if verizon has somehow stated it. they haven't announced any dates.....even tentative. yet, many people view this as a botched or late launch. it's not. the phone's not ready......or they would be selling it. it is the BEST time of the year to push a product and if they could, then they certainly would. sure....it would be nice if they would make statements to keep people informed about future releases.....but would you really be satisfied with "at this time we do not know when it will be ready and available"???? because that's really all they would have to say. they are definitely not going to get in to what the issues are, where the problems are, etc......that just wouldn't be smart business.

 

the tbolt launched in March, which was well ahead of initial rumors from the CES show that were for "later this year" or "in the second quarter."....but because a few testers got out there, and then leaked photos, and then leaked verizon info pages, etc, etc., the forums had a fit when it wasn't launched by the begining of march.


Here's the thing...Google had an announcement event in October, Google said it would be available worldwide in November, well November came and went.  The phone was released in most of Europe on time in November.  Verizon shouldn't dictate when Google releases the phone.  This is Google's device, NOT Verizon's.  It is a developer phone that isn't intended to be a production release type phone.  Yes it should work on Verizon's network, but that doesn't mean it should undergo the extreme testing as other devices.  Verizon has not been transparent whatsoever about this device, silence in this community is never good.  So you see they are indeed launching this phone a month late and giving most of us developers a month delay developing applications.  By simply announcing a date, we can then make preparations to code properly so apps are ready and compliant with ICS.  Again it is clear to me after speaking with a store rep earlier this week and stating the timing to which his response was "Verizon announces dates, NOT Google".  Clearly there is a huge disconnect between Verizon and Google at this point.  This is not your average device, the only thing closely equated is the iPhone to which Apple dictates release dates.  Somehow in some way shape or form, Verizon swindled Google and that is mind boggling.

0 Likes

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

SteelerFan
Novice

I read this morning that it will be released Friday. Hopefully that was accurate.

0 Likes

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

gnexus wrote:

Here's the thing...Google had an announcement event in October, Google said it would be available worldwide in November, well November came and went.  The phone was released in most of Europe on time in November.  Verizon shouldn't dictate when Google releases the phone.  Verizon isn't dictating when Google is releasing this phone. Verizon is dictating when VERIZON is releasing this phone! This is Google's device, NOT Verizon's.  It is a developer phone that isn't intended to be a production release type phone.  Yes it should work on Verizon's network, but that doesn't mean it should undergo the extreme testing as other devices.  Verizon has not been transparent whatsoever about this device, silence in this community is never good.  So you see they are indeed launching this phone a month late and giving most of us developers a month delay developing applications.  By simply announcing a date, we can then make preparations to code properly so apps are ready and compliant with ICS.  You can't make these preparations without a date? If you thought it was going to be released in November after the October event, it seems as if these preparations should be complete and ready to go! Again it is clear to me after speaking with a store rep earlier this week and stating the timing to which his response was "Verizon announces dates, NOT Google".  Clearly there is a huge disconnect between Verizon and Google at this point.  This is not your average device, the only thing closely equated is the iPhone to which Apple dictates release dates. And Apple also does the manufacturing. Google, however does not manufacture this phone. Possibly in the future, as they have purchased Motorola, though.  Somehow in some way shape or form, Verizon swindled Google and that is mind boggling.


 

0 Likes

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader

it's not that complicated. if google want s it to run on verizon's network, then they play by verizon's rules. you can argue that this is google's device and that they dictate launches, and that it's "different" than other devices. but the fact is, verizon will be selling it and when there are flaws, customers will go to verizon to have them fixed. it runs on verizon's network. if it's truly a developer device, then why couldn't google just sell you a wifi capable one to develop apps with?  

 

and it's not like the iphone. you can buy the iphone from apple.

0 Likes

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

gnexus
Member

rcschnoor wrote:

gnexus wrote:

Here's the thing...Google had an announcement event in October, Google said it would be available worldwide in November, well November came and went.  The phone was released in most of Europe on time in November.  Verizon shouldn't dictate when Google releases the phone.  Verizon isn't dictating when Google is releasing this phone. Verizon is dictating when VERIZON is releasing this phone! That is the problem, Verizon does NOT get to dictate when Verizon releases a Nexus device, GOOGLE does.  Both Google and Samsung rubber stamped the device over a month ago.This is Google's device, NOT Verizon's.  It is a developer phone that isn't intended to be a production release type phone.  Yes it should work on Verizon's network, but that doesn't mean it should undergo the extreme testing as other devices.  Verizon has not been transparent whatsoever about this device, silence in this community is never good.  So you see they are indeed launching this phone a month late and giving most of us developers a month delay developing applications.  By simply announcing a date, we can then make preparations to code properly so apps are ready and compliant with ICS.  You can't make these preparations without a date? If you thought it was going to be released in November after the October event, it seems as if these preparations should be complete and ready to go! I can develop against the SDK, however without a physical device, it becomes difficult to undergo proper development standards.  Again it is clear to me after speaking with a store rep earlier this week and stating the timing to which his response was "Verizon announces dates, NOT Google".  Clearly there is a huge disconnect between Verizon and Google at this point.  This is not your average device, the only thing closely equated is the iPhone to which Apple dictates release dates. And Apple also does the manufacturing. Google, however does not manufacture this phone. Possibly in the future, as they have purchased Motorola, though. Google and Samsung worked hand in hand to develop and manufacture this device, are you saying because Apple directly manufactures iPhones that makes Verizon happier? Somehow in some way shape or form, Verizon swindled Google and that is mind boggling.


 


 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader

you keep saying that verizon can't dictate this. so go buy it from google. or does google not sell it?

0 Likes

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

gnexus
Member

AZSALUKI wrote:

it's not that complicated. if google want s it to run on verizon's network, then they play by verizon's rules. you can argue that this is google's device and that they dictate launches, and that it's "different" than other devices. but the fact is, verizon will be selling it and when there are flaws, customers will go to verizon to have them fixed. it runs on verizon's network. if it's truly a developer device, then why couldn't google just sell you a wifi capable one to develop apps with?  

 

and it's not like the iphone. you can buy the iphone from apple.


Google offers support for all Nexus devices, you see when I have had issues with my Nexus One, I don't call T-Mobile, I call Google.  Verizon should only be in the business of selling the phone and service.  Support comes from Google.  T-Mobile has been trained if someone calls in for support on the Nexus One to transfer them directly to Google.  Should be the same here so don't give me that **bleep** argument.  

 

The sales model for the Nexus One sadly never took off because American's can't fathom spending $500+ on a phone.  The target market was not to your average cell phone user, it was geared toward developers and Android experts.  But to reach the masses, that model changed and we returned back to the old carrier iron fist of rebates and contracts.  

 

I would gladly take a wifi only device, but how would I test data speeds and sending packets over cell networks vs wifi?  Not possible.  Verizon has failed way too many people with this and I suspect Google sees that.  Likely this will be the first and last Nexus device Verizon sees.  I'll be a rental Verizon customer until the next Nexus phone comes out.

0 Likes

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

gnexus wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

gnexus wrote:

Here's the thing...Google had an announcement event in October, Google said it would be available worldwide in November, well November came and went.  The phone was released in most of Europe on time in November.  Verizon shouldn't dictate when Google releases the phone.  Verizon isn't dictating when Google is releasing this phone. Verizon is dictating when VERIZON is releasing this phone! That is the problem, Verizon does NOT get to dictate when Verizon releases a Nexus device, GOOGLE does.  Both Google and Samsung rubber stamped the device over a month ago. But it is OK for GOOGLE to dictate whether or not a device is suitable for VERIZON's network? Can't have it both ways. You say it is GOOGLE's phone, so they get to dictate. Well, it is VERIZON's network so they get to dictate that. What is good for the goose is good for the gander! Both Google and Verizon have to AGREE when it is ready. This is Google's device, NOT Verizon's.  It is a developer phone that isn't intended to be a production release type phone.  Yes it should work on Verizon's network, but that doesn't mean it should undergo the extreme testing as other devices.  Verizon has not been transparent whatsoever about this device, silence in this community is never good.  So you see they are indeed launching this phone a month late and giving most of us developers a month delay developing applications.  By simply announcing a date, we can then make preparations to code properly so apps are ready and compliant with ICS.  You can't make these preparations without a date? If you thought it was going to be released in November after the October event, it seems as if these preparations should be complete and ready to go! I can develop against the SDK, however without a physical device, it becomes difficult to undergo proper development standards.  So, how would Verizon announcing a date change the fact that it hasn't been released yet? If they announce a date, you would still not have a phone NOW. Again it is clear to me after speaking with a store rep earlier this week and stating the timing to which his response was "Verizon announces dates, NOT Google".  Clearly there is a huge disconnect between Verizon and Google at this point.  This is not your average device, the only thing closely equated is the iPhone to which Apple dictates release dates. And Apple also does the manufacturing. Google, however does not manufacture this phone. Possibly in the future, as they have purchased Motorola, though. Google and Samsung worked hand in hand to develop and manufacture this device, are you saying because Apple directly manufactures iPhones that makes Verizon happier? Don't think I said that, looks like I said "Google, however does not manufacture this phone." There were reports out that the Verizon iPhone was being tested on the Verizon network MONTHS prior to its release, though, to make sure that it was ready for release on the Verizon network, and THAT, I am sure, DID make Verizon happy. Somehow in some way shape or form, Verizon swindled Google and that is mind boggling.


 


 


 

0 Likes

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader

gnexus wrote:

Google offers support for all Nexus devices, you see when I have had issues with my Nexus One, I don't call T-Mobile, I call Google.  Verizon should only be in the business of selling the phone and service.  Support comes from Google.  T-Mobile has been trained if someone calls in for support on the Nexus One to transfer them directly to Google.  Should be the same here so don't give me that **bleep** argument.  

 

The sales model for the Nexus One sadly never took off because American's can't fathom spending $500+ on a phone.  The target market was not to your average cell phone user, it was geared toward developers and Android experts.  But to reach the masses, that model changed and we returned back to the old carrier iron fist of rebates and contracts.  

 

I would gladly take a wifi only device, but how would I test data speeds and sending packets over cell networks vs wifi?  Not possible.  Verizon has failed way too many people with this and I suspect Google sees that.  Likely this will be the first and last Nexus device Verizon sees.  I'll be a rental Verizon customer until the next Nexus phone comes out.



seems to me that if verizon is subsidizing the sale of it, then it really is up to verizon to dictate when and how it will be sold. google doesn't want to sell a handful of these simply to developers. they want to sell hundreds of thousand....or millions. they can't. verizon can. so i'd say again that they will have to play by verizon's rules. 

0 Likes

Re: Where's the Galaxy Nexus?!?!

AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader

and don't get me wrong. i understand where you are coming from. but the fact is, google and verizon don't care to appease a handful of developers. they want to sell a ton of devices. every week that passes between november and christmas, they lose tons of sales, so i don't believe there is any conspiracy here. it simply wasn't ready to be pushed to the masses.

 

0 Likes